Wednesday, July 7, 2010

3WW (Acrid, Bane, Tepid): A Delicate Instrument

Today is my 92nd birthday. The shrink at this God-awful place tells me I should start composing a journal to help me recollect my final days; they think my mind is going. It isn’t, not the most important parts. But I’ve decided to obey in order not to raise unnecessary suspicion. Apart from the shrink – whom I’m guessing has quite a bit of pull here – I simply ignore the wretches in this establishment. I eat when I choose. I walk when I choose. I defecate when I choose. I watch golf when I choose. I remember a time when I held the fate of peons like these in my hands. I could hire and fire on the spot. I had power. Now, I have an acrid taste in my mouth from the pureed crap they served me this morning. The food is my bane here. It is bland and inedible. If I am losing any part of my mind, it is because these mere servants can’t so much as boil water. Speaking of water, my tea was tepid this morning. I begin to wonder if there isn’t some kind of conspiracy against me here. I wonder if Rogers and Niederhaus are working together to make my life as miserable as I once made theirs. I can’t help that they were lazy, do-nothings who added absolutely no incremental value to the company. They are most likely working with my bastard children. Those pariahs haven’t come to see me since God knows when. They’ve looted my coffers; they essentially killed dear Doris, God rest her soul, with their conniving. Damn it. I hear one of the senseless rabble coming down the hallway. I best sign off before they capture this sacred book and use my own words…

‘I don’t know what to say.’

‘It’s okay, Ms. Ramsey. It is, in fact, something I’ve not previously encountered.’

‘Can you help him?’

‘The brain is a delicate instrument. There is a significant amount of trauma.’

‘You say this is just one. Are there any others?’

‘I’ve witnessed someone whom I think is closer to his age, though the exact age is still indeterminate as of now. But it’s too soon to tell.’

‘Have you seen… umm… him?’

‘It’s hard to say since I hadn’t met him before the accident.’

‘I just want my son back.’

‘Yes, I know Ms. Ramsey, and we’ll try to find him.’

1 comment:

Thom Gabrukiewicz said...

A very interesting twist, one that I had to read the story a couple of times to catch. I like it, but I think the twist needs to just be a little clearer, if it is what I assume it to be.