Friday, November 5, 2010

Foodalicious: Famous Joe's

There's a debate that rages wildly in all corners of the United States. Where might you find the best pizza?

Magazines rate. People yelp. Bloggers list. Critics critique. But this post isn't about rating or yelping or listing or even critiquing in any kind of serious way. It's about finding that perfect slice in NYC, the land of slices.

It came up one day in Seattle. I was in Steve's office not too long ago discussing some work-related item when he asked if I had found any good pizza in the city. I admitted to him that I hadn't even had pizza since being back to east, a travesty unto itself. When I asked his advice, he excitedly said that Joe's was the best he had had in the city, as if Joe was some guy who had a place in Brooklyn in the 60s when Steve was growing up. Undeterred by my wise-assedness, Steve started clicking wildly and told me to 'c'mere'. I rounded the desk and saw that he was attempting to pinpoint the Manhattan location. After some strategic clicking and zooming, Steve had found the place at 7 Carmine in the West Village. 'Best pizza in the city,' he commented.

So I had to see for myself.

I've been three times. And, I'd have to agree that it's the best - albeit some of the only - pizza I've had in the city. That may seem a backhanded compliment. But I must compare to the pizza I've had elsewhere. I'll have to admit its superiority to Seattle and Boston pizza. I must, however, reserve judgment when comparing to the New Haven pizzas because I've still not visited Sally's for a pie, and I visited Pepe's only once and don't really remember it.

What makes Joe's so good?

First, it's the atmosphere. This ain't a restaurant where you're going to have a sit down meal. When you walk in, there's a small counter to the left, a small counter facing toward the street in front, and a few small, round stand-alone tables strewn throughout the joint. On the counters and tables, you'll find parmesan cheese and crushed red pepper. It's a short walk to the counter where you'll be greeted by a grunting Italian who acts as if he has no time to deal with you. You have to notice the quick head movement and brief eye contact to get service. After speaking your choices, the guy warms the pizza in the oven and takes your cash (cash only) to the tune of $3.50 per slice (seems expensive but the slices are generous). Meanwhile, you notice that the place is a good cross section of white and blue collar, and they have usually been - well at least since I've only been there between the hours of 11 pm and 3 am - rather intoxicated, making for some interesting interactions with Joe's staff. A great place to be a fly on a wall, as long as you as the fly are nowhere near my pizza.

Second, it's the celebrity. Although the place is pretty much a hole, it's well liked by many a celebrity. No, I haven't seen a celebrity there yet, but based on the pictures in the restaurant, they have everyone from Harrison Ford to Adam Sandler in pictures along the wall. Even more than the celebrities that have visited, the place itself can be considered a minor tourist location for comic lovers and movie nuts alike as it was the pizzeria where Peter Parker, i.e. Tobey Maguire, worked in Spiderman.

Third, it's their hours. I didn't get the exact hours, but I'm pretty sure they're open from late morning to early morning, i.e. from about 11 a.m. until about 5 a.m. Ah, the city that never sleeps... kinda. But that's another post.

Fourth, and most importantly, it's the pizza. I've had only the cheese and the pepperoni. But I must say that I think the pepperoni is the best I've had anywhere up to this point in my life. It's not that greasy, which I find to be amazing. It's thin and foldable. The crust is just a little dark; there's an almost but not quite burnt-around-the-edges taste that translates more as crispiness than it does burntness. The sauce is faintly sweet but can be cut well with the addition of crushed red pepper. And the cheese is just the right texture. All in all, delectable.

I have no doubt that I'll be returning. And if you're ever in the neighborhood, please go. And take me with you...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Next get out to Deer Park and try Pizzaiola. Best pizza on LI.