Saturday, September 19, 2009

Sporting Rants and Raves: September 19, 2009

Happy 42nd birthday Mr. Jim Abbott. A former MLB pitcher, Abbott was best known for pitching despite having been born without a right hand. In 10 years in the majors, Abbott won 87, lost 108, and had an ERA of 4.25.

Trivia of the Week
Abbott played for 4 teams in his major league career; name them. Extra credit: Abbott pitched a no-hitter on September 4, 1993. For which team did he play? Against which team did he pitch?

Answers to September 12's Trivia of the Week
Yao Ming is from the largest city in China. Name that city.
Shanghai
Extra credit: Yao first played professional basketball in China with this team. He later bought the team on 7/16/2009.
Shanghai Sharks

Washington stuns No. 3 USC 16-13
I do not pretend to be any kind of hardcore Washington Huskies fan. Nor do I wish them ill, much to the chagrin of my Cougar friends. Although I am indifferent, I congratulate the team that recorded its first win in 16 games last weekend against Idaho and now have beaten the likes of USC, a team for which I have absolutely no love.

Grasu's FG gives WSU 30-27 OT win over SMU
At the same time, I must congratulate the Cougs on their OT win. After last week's rather embarrassing loss to Hawaii, I wondered if they had what it took to do any damage whatsoever to any team they faced. They have proven that they do have some spark.

Suzuki gives Seattle stunning 3-2 win
I was supposed to go to the game last evening. In some ways, I'm glad I didn't. You see, my best friend was in town, and I wanted to spend some time with him and Joseph. I therefore gave the tickets to two friends, one of whom claimed he wanted to go to boo A-Rod. After I returned home from dinner, I looked at the score and saw 3-2. Ichiro against Rivera. Only the second blown save for Rivera this year. The other just so happened to be a 2-run blast from Boston's Jason Bay.

NBA star Delonte West arrested on weapons charges
I don't know who Delonte West. And I don't really care, other than the fact that he's an NBA player. The only question I have is, why. I've spoken to Joseph about this a number of times. Professionals from all sports caught with guns and drugs. And Joseph makes the point that many of these athletes never fully understand that they don't need to be badasses anymore. They don't need to be involved in gangs and drug running and gun toting anymore. But they don't know anything different. They never underwent the cultural change from the hood to the field / court. Perhaps the professional leagues should take this under advisement. Perhaps, as with a half-way house after prison, these athletes should be involved in a program that introduces them to a world where they don't need to be involved in those poisonous activities from their former lives.

TD's NFL Picks - Week 2
Started at 11-5. If not for a ridiculous tip by a Bagel DB, I'd be 12-4. But I'm not bitter. It is Cincinnati, after all. A bunch of good games this week, including a Cowboys-Giants showdown on Sunday night. Who will TD pick? Let's see...

Minnesota @ Detroit
The Lions have to win sometime, right? Right. Just not this week. Favre will continue to hand off. As well he should. TD chooses: Minnesota Vikings

Carolina @ Atlanta
Yes, I chose Carolina to win the NFC South. And now, I would like to retract that statement. Yes, I know I can't. And yes, I know that Carolina has looked rather terrible both in the preseason and in the first game. They might actually be third in the division - I still think Tampa's worse. And Atlanta will win the division. And the game. TD chooses: Atlanta Falcons

Cincinnati @ Green Bay
I feel badly for Carson Palmer only because I like what I read about him. Even if he did go to USC. As for the remainder of the Bagels, eh. Even though I think Green Bay had far too many problems against a rather poorly playing Chicago Bears team, I'll still take them against these Blueberry Bagels. TD chooses: Green Bay Packers

Arizona @ Jacksonville
Arizona lost to San Fran. Not sure what happened there. But I'm going to be VERY disappointed if Arizona isn't good this year. Jacksonville played well against Indy, but I'm not convinced that Indy's a very good team. I will therefore give the Cards another shot. But if they don't win this one, I may have to blacklist them for a little while (given that they're not playing the Rams next week.) TD chooses: Arizona Cardinals

New England @ New York Jets
The Jets played well last week against what I think will be a good team. I don't think it was a fluke. But I may chalk it up to Houston not being altogether ready. All of you Jets fans have a right to be upset with me for that comment, but you're just Jets fans. And if any of you come after me, I'll sick some Giants fans on you. Then there's New England. I caught the second half of the Bills - Pats game Monday night. (Still hate the old Pats unis.) And just when it seemed the Pats might be succumbing to reality, that numbnuts decides to take the ball out of the end zone. I would have vandalized your lawn too. And, all of a sudden, the Pats are 1-0. I personally think they're going to be 2-0. TD chooses: New England Patriots

Houston @ Tennessee
I know Tennessee lost their first game. But not by much. And Haynesworth's departure doesn't seem to be hurting that much. Houston, meanwhile, needs a win. And they can win with their offense. But I don't think they're ready yet. Let's get going Schaub... TD chooses: Tennessee Titans

St. Louis @ Washington
It's St. Louis. Then again, Washington's known for getting beaten for no reason by a team that has no reason to beat them. Still, TD chooses: Washington Redskins

New Orleans @ Philadelphia
Here we go again. McNabb goes down. Vick's not ready. Kevin Kolb's going to start, but who knows if he's going to finish. And Jeff Garcia's waiting in the wings. Otherwise, the offense is fine. Ha Ha. Philly fans must love this. As for New Orleans, they can beat any team that doesn't score many points on any given day. They are - as usual - limited only by their defense. So, who do I choose? Tough one. I'll give home field advantage. TD chooses: Philadelphia Eagles

Oakland @ Kansas City
Welcome to the weakest division in football. Although both teams stayed with the teams they played in Week 1, I don't have any confidence in either. It is likely that one of them will win, however, and so I must choose. Will Oakland continue to run the ball down their opponents' throats successfully? If so, I say they win. If thy have to pass, forget it. As for KC, will Cassel play? And does it matter if he does? For now, I'll say KC can hold on. But later in the season, I think I'll give it to the Silver and Black Attack. TD chooses: Kansas City Chiefs

Tampa Bay @ Buffalo
I wasn't impressed with Tampa last week. They barely gave the Cowboys a game. Buffalo, on the other hand, has some weapons in TO-man, Fred Jackson, and Trent Edwards. TD chooses: Buffalo Bills

Seattle @ San Francisco
I didn't think San Fran would win against the Cardinals. But they did. And even if they didn't do it convincingly, their win makes me think twice about the game against Seattle. I then think about all of the weapons a healthy Hasselbeck has. Speaking of which, when is Deion Branch going bye-bye? TD will be a homer and chooses: Seattle Seahawks

Pittsburgh @ Chicago
Before the season began, I chose Chicago to go to the Super Bowl. Then they played against Green Bay, and I wondered if any team in the NFC North would get by the first round of the playoffs. I'm disappointed. And although I'm rooting for them against Pittsburgh, I think Pittsburgh's better. TD chooses: Pittsburgh Steelers

Cleveland @ Denver
The who cares game of the week. Not even the fans care, I'd bet. Let's flip a coin. A 1994 D Penny. Cleveland, heads. Denver, not heads. Best 2 of 3. Cleveland wins the first. Denver wins the second. Oh, the anticipation. Denver wins the third. So, TD chooses: Cleveland Browns. (I never said I'd go with the coin flip winner.)

Baltimore @ San Diego
An interesting matchup, methinks. Baltimore played down to KC last week. San Diego did the same against Oakland. I don't know if Flacco's that good. Then again, although I know the stats, I feel the same way about Rivers. The better offense? San Diego with its many weapons. The better defense? Baltimore, by far. There's nothing particularly scary about playing in San Diego. Except that it's a long ways from east to west. What will tip the balance? Injuries. LT's out. And the O-line has been weakened. TD chooses: Baltimore Ravens

New York Football Giants @ Dallas Cowboys
It promises to be a good game. It has been for some time. Romo's trying to prove he's for real without TO-man. Manning's looking for the next deep threat. Mario Manningham? Maybe. There is a Manning in Manningham after all. But these points have nothing to do with the game. Who will win? I fear that the Cowboys are in a good position. They're good early in the season. And it's the first game at the TV-dome. TD hesitatingly chooses: Dallas Cowboys even though he is rooting whole-heartedly for the New York Football Giants.

Indianapolis @ Miami
Indianapolis pulled it out last week. Against a not-so-good Jacksonville team. Miami lost to a better Atlanta team. I don't really have confidence in either. And nothing I'm reading gives me reason to choose either over the other. Indy has the experience. But Sparano probably won't allow his team to turn the ball over nearly as much. I said at the beginning of this season that Peyton would win a couple games single-handedly this season. I'll say this is one of them. TD chooses: Indianapolis Colts

There you have it sports fans. Week 2 choices and a few tidbits besides. Until next I write, happy sporting...

No comments: