Saturday, September 5, 2009

Sporting Rants and Raves: September 5, 2009

Happy 73rd birthday to Mr. Bill Mazeroski. Nicknamed 'Maz', Mr. Mazeroski played for the Pittsburgh Pirates for his entire career and was a key member of the 1960 and 1971 World Series teams.

Trivia of the Week
Mazeroski hit the game winning home run in Game 7 of the 1960 World Series. Against which team? Against which pitcher? Extra Credit: Mazeroski also hit a home run in game 1 that gave the Pirates a 6-4 lead and the win. Against which pitcher did he hit that one?

Answer to August 29th's Trivia of the Week
Name the other 3 Giants linebackers in Super Bowls XXI and XXV respectively.
Super Bowl XXI - Gary Reasons, Lawrence Taylor, Harry Carson
Super Bowl XXV - Gary Reasons, Lawrence Taylor, Pepper Johnson

Clausen near perfect in ND's 35-0 win over Nevada
I Just finished listening to / watching the game. And Notre Dame looks like it might just have a team this year. Yes, it's early. Yes, it was Nevada. But it was also a convincing 35-0 win. We shall see...

Pettitte wins 4th straight, Yanks beat Toronto 6-4
Not the most memorable of performances. But still a win. And the Yanks are now 8.5 games up. Barring a meltdown - that at least one New York team has shown in the recent past - they should keep the number one spot to the finish. Still, I wish Texas, Tampa, or Seattle pull that Wild Card off. I don't want to see that other team in the playoffs.

I abbreviate this week's headlines for...

TD's Annual NFL Season Picks
I have partaken in the ridiculous task of choosing every game prior to the season. Of course, that's usually asking for disaster. But here goes...

AFC East: New England 11-5
AFC North: Pittsburgh Steelers 13-3
AFC South: Tennessee Titans 12-4
AFC West: San Diego Chargers 11-5
AFC Wildcards: Baltimore Ravens 12-4 and Houston Texans 10-6

NFC East: Philadelphia Eagles 13-3
NFC North: Chicago Bears 14-2
NFC South: Carolina Panthers 9-7
NFC West: Arizona Cardinals 11-5
NFC Wildcards: New York Giants 11-5 and Washington Redskins 11-5

Super Bowl XLIV will see the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Chicago Bears vie for domination. I give it to Chicago.

Though I haven't written a great deal, let me say that I've spent far too long analyzing the NFL season. And so, I depart. Happy sporting until next I write...

1 comment:

old man said...

Ralph Terry on a 1-0 pitch bottom of 9th no outs score tied 9-9. Johnny blanchard catching.

Jim Coates gave up 2 run homer in first game.

I cried for one week. Still brings a tear to my eye.