Wednesday, May 19, 2010

3WW (Dread, Grasp, Pacify): Dead Rat

‘It’s a rat.’

‘Yeah, I know it’s a rat.’

‘But it’s a dead rat.’

‘Yep.’ I was in no mood to pacify the guy.

‘That’s disgusting!’ he nearly shrieked, his voice oozing with dread.

‘Have you ever been to New York before?’

‘Yes, but to clean places.’

He pissed me off with that comment. ‘Look around. I’m a neat freak. I don’t do messy.’

‘Then why is there a rat?’ he said with as much sarcasm as he could muster. It wasn’t much.

‘Because rats live in cities. And they live in these buildings. In the walls sometimes. Near trash. They’re rodents, vermin. It’s what they do.’

‘Oh my God.’

I regretted offering to spend any time with this guy. Even if it was a favor for Sheila.

‘I am telling you that Sheila would not stand for this,’ he stated with certainty.

‘She lives in this friggin apartment. She’s seen rats before. And if you have even an inkling of an idea about moving to New York, then you better believe you’re gonna see rats.’ I knew Sheila wasn’t the type to be afraid of rats.

‘If I moved to New York, I would find a clean place to live. As it stands now, I will wait for Sheila to return so that we can find an appropriate hotel for the evening.’

‘Suit yourself.’ I had had enough after a full day of work. Not to mention the dead rat. I walked into the bathroom to get a few plastic bags so I could dispose of the dead rat. I walked back into the living room area to see Jake standing by the door with his jacket on and his suitcase next to him.

I paid him no attention and started uncrumpling the bags.

‘You’re not going to touch the rat, are you?’

‘I’m gonna get rid of the rat,’ I said without looking at him.

‘Oh, hell no. You’re not touching that rat while I’m here.’

I turned. ‘Huh?’

‘Do not touch that rat.’

‘I’m getting rid of the rat, Jake.’

I bent to scoop it up but got whacked in the arm.

‘What the hell do you think you’re doing?’ There Jake stood attempting to hold the broom handle like a baseball bat.

‘I told you not to touch the rat. I will not be diseased because of you and your disgusting ways.’

Sheila entered the apartment and saw her brother aiming the broom at me.
‘Jake, what are you doing? Put the broom down.’

He turned to her and screamed, ‘He’s going to touch a dead rat!’

‘Yeah,’ I agreed with much less drama, ‘I found a dead rat today. I’ve already called the super to make sure the building knows.’

‘I demand to leave immediately, Sheila. This friend of yours will surely cause my untimely death if I remain. We will get a hotel room. And you will pay since you put me in this predicament in the first place.’

I watched as Sheila tried to plead with Jake. But he obviously had something he could hold over her head. And that was strange since I’d never seen anyone hold anything over her head.

She walked over to me. ‘I’m sorry. I guess my brother and I will be staying the night at a hotel.’

‘That’s stupid, Sheila. Why?’

‘I just want to show him a good time.’

‘It doesn’t make any sense.’

‘It doesn’t matter, Mike’ she told me distractedly. ‘It’s okay.’

‘Correct,’ Jake chimed in. ‘I told you that my sister would not stand to live in such living conditions. I am going to use the restroom, and then we will be going. Sheila, you should pack,’ he directed.

I had no idea what was happening. But I knew that I didn’t like how he was treating me or Sheila. So, I grasped the rat in between a couple plastic grocery bags and disposed of it in the best way I could imagine. Into the front pouch of his suitcase.

3 comments:

pia said...

Fun ending! Don't blame the character for not wanting to spend time with the other guy

Dee Martin said...

buwahaha!

Thom Gabrukiewicz said...

great ending, what a twist.