Sunday, December 19, 2010

A Kosher Christmas

‘I’m not feeling much in a Christmas mood,’ Alex explained to his Jewish co-worker. ‘I’ve never not had a tree until this year. I don’t even have decorations. I tried to watch White Christmas and some of those clay-mation classics, but nothing seems to work. I’m not sure what to do.’ Alex was new to the neighborhood after moving from a city half way across the continent.

The young Jewish man, David, chuckled a bit. ‘Having never celebrated Christmas, I suppose I can’t really know how that feels. Well, I’m taking off for a nice long weekend. Have a happy holiday.’ David moved down the hallway and passed through the double doors that lead back to his desk.

Alex walked back to his office and sat at his chair. He stared blankly at his monitor, which showed him all the emails to which he needed to respond. People had ceased walking by his door; the office had become a ghost town. He contemplated working more so as not to have so much work on his plate when he returned, but he decided against it. Instead, his fingers guided the mouse to shut down the machine. He packed his things and walked back to the apartment.

The train he intended to catch had long since departed; the next few were after 7 p.m. His cell phone buzzed again, revealing an unhappy sister who had waited at the station for a half hour before calling it quits and heading back home. He picked up the phone and finally typed a reply. ‘Not coming home. Something came up. Merry Christmas!’ That was it; there was no further explanation.

A short time later, he received a text in return. It simply read, ‘Whatever…’ He turned off the phone.

Alex sat wallowing in his apartment watching Cops and Mythbusters. He sipped on a Coors Light and popped bagged popcorn into his mouth. Sleep gradually crept into his eyes.

Alex vaguely heard the knock; the doorbell, however, was unmistakable. The clock read 11 p.m. He grumbled angrily to himself, ‘Christmas Eve, really?’ and looked into the peephole. On the other side of the door stood David, his Jewish co-worker. Alex opened the door, and David immediately stepped into the apartment.

‘What are you doing here?’ Alex inquired.

‘I needed a place to go.’

‘Why? What’s wrong?’

‘I’d rather not discuss. Can I stay for a bit, maybe overnight?’

‘Well, come in and we’ll figure something out.’

David moved to the couch and sat.

‘Can I offer you something to drink?’ Alex asked. ‘I’ve got beer, juice, water…’

‘Water sounds good. Thanks.’

Alex poured the water and got himself another beer. He sat in the opposite end of the couch.

‘So, what are you watching?’ David asked.

Alex replied, ‘I don’t really know; I’ve been asleep for a little.’

‘Sorry that I woke you. I didn’t expect you to be here, but I had to try.’

‘Where did you think I’d be? And how do you know where I live anyway?’

‘Well, it’s easy to find out where people live. And I thought you’d be at your sister’s.’

‘How do you know that?’

‘I overheard a conversation you were having at work.’

Alex considered when he had discussed his Christmas plans at work. Since he was new, he had spoken to very few people about anything including the holidays. But he could have said something in passing to someone. He decided to let it go.

They sat in silence for a time.

‘Why didn’t you go to your sister’s?’

‘I didn’t want to deal with my family,’ he answered.

‘Family can certainly be challenging. But they do love you.’

‘Blah, bah, blah. They’re all about guilt and competition. Why would I want to volunteer for that? My sister’s constantly on my case about not being in contact. My brother always makes comments about the gifts I buy. Mom has just about given up on me; she’d decided that what I’m trying to do is a stupid pipe dream. So, why? Answer me that.’

‘They’re family.’

‘Cop out response. Why aren’t you with yours instead of with me?’

‘My family’s dead.’

‘Oh. Sorry. You don’t have a wife?’

‘Had a wife. And a kid. A while ago.’

‘It couldn’t have been that long ago; you’re pretty young.’

David didn’t respond.

‘Anyway, I just get frustrated. It’s like I’m not at all good enough for them, not who they want me to be.’

‘You’re not who they want you to be. And that’s okay. That’s a lesson for them to learn.’

‘Well, I’d rather they learn that lesson before I learn my own.’

‘Why not be the bigger man?’

‘Why do I have to start? Why is it that I’m the one who has the responsibility of keeping in contact? Why is it that it’s on me and not on them?’

‘I never said it wasn’t on them. But it’s on you too.’

‘Yeah, cop out. So why are you here again? A Jew giving advice to a former Christian on Christmas Eve? Seems kinda strange. What happened to your nice long weekend?’

‘This is as good a way as any to spend a nice long weekend.’

‘So, what were you originally planning?’

‘This.’

‘This, what?’

‘I get to chat with you. And to travel.’

‘Travel?’

‘There’s still another train that you can catch.’

‘What?’

‘Another train. At the station. You can still catch it.’

‘Okay, great. But there’s no way for me to get back to my sister’s from there. And I already said I’m not going back.’ He stood and walked to the closet. ‘Here’s a blanket and a pillow you can use. I’m going to bed.’ Alex turned and walked into his room, closed his door, and readied for bed. He heard the bathroom door close and the toilet flush. There was a bit more rustling, and then silence. He considered what David has said and decided he just wasn’t ready to deal with his family. With that, he made one final wish, a tradition he and his siblings had shared for as long as he could remember, and he fell asleep.

The next morning, Alex walked out into his living area to find a small decorated tree and a strand of lines streaming about the apartment. The floors were spotless, his detritus neatly organized in the corner. In the small kitchen, David was handling a few large plates.

‘What are you doing?’ Alex asked.

‘I figured we could have a nice Christmas meal.’

‘But you don’t celebrate Christmas. And where did you get all this stuff between last night and today? Everything’s closed.’

‘You live in a huge city during a time when capitalism is king. Not to mention there are more Jews here than anywhere except Israel. There are plenty of places open. As long as you don’t mind kosher food.’ He smiled. ‘Merry Christmas, Alex.’

‘Why are you doing this?’

‘Because I understand the importance of a special day. And you shouldn’t be spending it alone.’

‘Fine,’ he said with resignation. Alex entered the kitchen and looked around. ‘There’s enough food to feed an army.’

‘I thought we could eat and then bring the rest to a shelter. Not to mention leftovers that both of us can have.’

Alex asked what he could do to help, and David put him to work on cooking some vegetables and making a salad. David put on National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation, Alex’s favorite Christmas movie, and they shared some holiday laughter.

At about noon, David slapped a hand to his forehead and said, ‘I can’t believe I forgot the wine.’

‘A little late now,’ commented Alex.

‘Nah, but I’ll have to travel a bit. I’ll be back in a bit. I know a place where I can get it. A nice Cabernet will go beautifully with the ham.’

He exited, leaving Alex to watch the finale of A Christmas Story.

About an hour later, Alex heard the buzzer sound, and he rang David up. There soon came a knock at the door.

‘Enter,’ Alex replied.

The door opened, and Alex’s family spilled into the apartment. In his mother’s right hand, a bottle of cabernet.

‘A bottle of wine for the new homeowner. I guess it’s about time we made the effort. So, what is that wonderful smell?’

Alex smiled. ‘Merry Christmas everyone. Make yourselves at home.’

No comments: