Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Birthday Party

We had a busy day. Woke up. Got our haircuts up north. Headed into the city to wash our five big comforter blankets in a laundromat. (I had no idea laundromats had become so expensive.) Went to K&G (a clothing store) to pick out shirts for the night. Came back home. I blogged and then got myself ready. Out the door by 6:40. Arrived at Purr at 7:05.

Purr Cocktail Lounge. It's the bar that sponsors my softball team. A cozy hangout spot, it attracts men and women of every ilk.

We parked in front of the bar, a rarity. As we exited, Chris walked up and greeted us. An actor/singer/dancer, he had a show at 8 but wanted to stop for some food and drink prior to his performance. Rock, a bartender at Purr and fierce competitor on the softball field, offered to buy me my first drink. Beer, I said, Bud Light's fine. I wasn't going to make the mistake of drinking too much too fast. Beer would be just fine.

Matt walked in. One of the Buzz -the team I coached - pitchers this past year. A big Cubs and Jaguars fan. He said hello and immediately turned his attention to the large widescreen television to see if his Cubs could at least win one game against the Dodgers. Drew entered next. A pitcher for another team in the league. A Coug through and through.

Dodge and Vicki came next. I mentored with Dodge in the Community for Youth program last year and grew to respect him a great deal. In fact, I'd say our entire community - mentors and students alike - looked to him as a guide along the windy road of life. He brought with him a friend named Vicki. A conservative Christian from Idaho, the atmosphere obviously challenged her. But she engaged in conversation and stepped far enough outside of her box to enjoy herself, I think.

Tara and Ashley, my two good friends, entered next. I greeted them and talked briefly about fantasy football. How Tara got beat by a team that had four players on bye last week. But I didn't talk to them long before Keren and Harry walked through the door. Keren, the best developer with whom I've had the pleasure of being associated, purchased for me a small flan-like pastry on my birthday proper. But she and her husband still did me the honor of making an appearance at Purr.

Then came a rapid fire of friends. Gabe and Fernando. Fernando, yet another pitcher on the Buzz this past year, I laugh at the fact that he will not refer to me in any other way than 'Coach'. Gabe, his more reserved counterpart, smiled his beautiful smile. They made their way into the fray.

Tony next. The Green Bay kinda from D.C., North Carolina, and L.A. all at the same time. And a writer/producer/editor/director to boot. Contemplating his future at WAMU. A very good friend of mine in the Seattle area. My first best friend in Seattle. Said he'd never step into Purr even though I told him never to judge the book by its cover, and I think he might have enjoyed himself. The horror...

Steven. The fastest person on the Thrusters - the team on which I played - this past season. A good-natured talkative sort who can be counted on to talk to anyone and everyone.

JB and Eric. A couple who moved from San Fran a couple years ago. I played with JB on the Dragons for two years. JB could always lighten the mood while also telling it how it is. We agree on many things, but none more so than the greatness of Reggie.

Todd and Shanan. Shanan I met last night for the first time. Good guy, he seems, but I make no judgment, at least not so early. Todd on the other hand, a Red Sox fan. We shall always entertain an adversarial relationship. Just the way it is. Other than the whole Red Sox thing, he's a good guy who's rebuilding his life at the moment. I've no doubt he'll pull himself up by the proverbial bootstraps...

Twiggy with Katrina. So, Twiggy isn't his real name; it's just one of his many aliases. A good shortstop; a better batter. And rather opinionated as well. Everyone should always have a Twiggy around. Then there's Katrina with her own strong beliefs. She says what she think needs to be said when she thinks it needs be said. It aided her in directing the outfield as the Buzz captain this past year.

I watched as the Cubs successfully choked. 100 years and counting. Then the Brewers. Not nearly as long for them, but still. Here we go Dodgers - Phillies.

CB. It was his actual birthday yesterday (we celebrated together). He's an Animal. No, really, he plays for the softball team named the Animals. The sweetest guy you'll ever want to meet. Just don't piss him off; army ranger, just wouldn't be pretty.

Brett, the Goldschlager and water downing skinny as a rail guy who was deemed the most improved player on the Buzz... by the Buzz. Dawn, the smiling first baseman - or should I say first basewoman - who still surprises people with her hitting even after six years in the league. Chao, the new-to-softball athletic stand-out who has proven to be an intelligent and wise man with whom I have much in common. Randy, the Nebraska-born softball guru who assists in coaching the Thrusters.

CB and I shared a shot in the first hour we were there. It was some kinda peachish-tasting concoction. We liked it enough to have another in the next hour. Oh, right, the whole hour thing. So, as I said, I wasn't going to be in a position to go home at 10. So, I paced. I told everyone that I would drink beer. And that I could handle one shot per hour. It worked.

Another Gabe came in later. Played with him on the Dragons during the Dragons' second year. A good, good player. He started his own team this past year and asked me to be the first baseman. I didn't take him up on the offer for a multitude of reasons. But he's still trying to get me for next year. When he bought my third shot - something with whiskey - he toasted to his new first baseman. I chuckled.

The final guests of the night. Chris and Rico. I had played two years with Chris on the Dragons before we went our separate ways onto different softball teams this past year. A great guy, he has weathered the Starbucks storm - he works in the Seattle headquarters as part of the IT team - rather effectively.

We closed out at Purr. Most of my guests decided to head home. A few tagged along to the Cuff. An interesting place, the Cuff. Big. A bit grimy. Reminded me of the Blue Oyster from Police Academy the first time I stepped inside. Not nearly as bad. Strong drinks. It's the place to go on Capital Hill between the hours of 10 p.m. - 2 a.m. We got ourselves some beer. Fraternized a little. Took some pictures. They bought me a 24 ounce can of Miller Lite. Shout out to Grandpa Murray. Haha. I chuckled some more.

When are you going to dance? they asked me. Uh, not this year. Sorry. Joseph had promised it in the invitation. I disappointed. It just isn't my kind of music at the Cuff. That techno/electronic/hip hop/remix crap. Ick. Blows out my eardrums.

I'm such an old man. And not because I just had a birthday.

We departed around 1:30 and made our way to Jack in the Box. Why does crappy takeout food taste good after a night of drinking? Mystery of modern life.

A shout out to all of those who do read this blog and who did attend the party. Thanks!

To all of those who couldn't come. Maybe next year...

No comments: