Thursday, October 16, 2008

TD's Official NFL Picks - Week 7

Pitiful. My choices are just pitiful. Miami barely loses. But still loses. Chicago barely loses. But still loses. Denver doesn't even show up. Dallas? You got beat by the Cardinals? Really? And don't even get me started on the Jints. I turned on the game for a brief moment as those who read my blog on Monday know, and I glimpsed the score followed by two plays. They've already lost this one, I said out loud. What a fairweather fan you are, Joseph responded. Fairweather fan? No. But they just looked like they were trying to play football while abiding by the rules of parcheesi. I told Joseph he should have heard my maternal grandfather that night. I grant that I didn't, but I certainly know how he was carrying on.

Okay, so I'm back at it again this week. Who upsets whom? What kind of craziness can inundate me this weekend thus slipping me deeper into utter mediocrity? Enough feeling sorry for myself, here are the picks:

San Diego @ Buffalo
Great start to the picks. San Diego has a good offense and a terrible defense. Buffalo has a good defense and a so-so offense bolstered by the return of Trent Edwards. It promises to be a nice day in Buffalo for Sunday - a high of 57. But San Diego still has to travel clear across the country. There's no doubt San Diego can win... if Buffalo's D decides not to show up. TD chooses: Buffalo Bills

Pittsburgh @ Cincinnati
Ugly. Cincinnati's terrible. Palmer's still out with the elbow issues. The Bagels can't find a running game. And where's Ocho Psycho? Then you have the Steelers who find a way to win somehow. I say there's only one way the Steelers lose. They're looking to their next two NFC East opponents. But that would still mean that the Bagels could put enough offense together to win. TD chooses: Pittsburgh Steelers

Tennessee @ Kansas City
Really Larry? Again? You hit another woman? I'd have dropped you from both my fantasy teams by now if I could. But you're locked, so I'm stuck with you. Dead weight on the bench. Another issue for the brutal-to-watch Chiefs. They have coming into Arrowhead the only remaining undefeated team. And Herm Edwards is trying to deflect the news about Larry and Tony looking for - but not getting - a trade. Can you say worst team in the NFL? And I didn't even say anything about the Titans. Because I think they just have to show up. TD chooses: Tennessee Titans

Dallas @ St. Louis
Romo or Johnson, Dallas does not let another inferior team beat them. Especially not with the recent addition of Roy Williams. If they do, I'm going to love to see the fireworks from that fallout. But I just don't see it happening. Meanwhile, those who play the Rams in the next few weeks best no take them for granted. Haslett's lead before. And well, at that. But this week's this week. TD chooses: Dallas Cowboys

Baltimore @ Miami
Intriguing. Miami can take 'em. Especially if they get on Flacco, which they can. Then again, Baltimore could very well make Chad's day quite the living hell with their own number one D. I'm thinking Miami brings out more of the Wildcat for this game. It doesn't completely catch the Ravens by surprise, but it does spring either or both brown and williams for some big plays. TD chooses: Miami Dolphins (in a close game)

San Francisco @ New York Giants
Eli had his bad game. Fine, get it out of the way. I'd have rather it not been on a Monday night for all to see. But maybe that was a good thing to humble them a bit. San Fran will come to play, but I think O'Sullivan will get pummeled by an angry Jints D. The G-Men return to form in this one. TD chooses: New York Football Giants

New Orleans @ Carolina
Danger, Carolina, danger. Do not underestimate one of the most prolific offenses in the game. Especially with the news that Colston and Shockey may return this weekend. I think Delhomme has to be ready to keep up with the onslaught that is the Saints offense (and the Saints D will allow it given how bad they are). I honestly see one of two possibilities here. New Orleans blows 'em out like Tampa did a week ago. Or, the Panthers' D shows up and keeps the game close. Based on that, probability dictates that TD chooses: New Orleans Saints

Detroit @ Houston
Ick. I think I can say, at this moment, that the game about which no one would actually care - were it to happen this year - would be Detroit V. KC. This one's a close second. Only because Houston still doesn't know how to win the game that will make them respectable. Honestly, the Jacksonville and Indianapolis games were killers. Just demoralizing. Still, they have a potent offense. And Detroit just gave away one of their biggest weapons. (Not that I'm complaining, mind you. I think Detroit actually needs to try to rebuild post-Millen, and that trade was a good first move.) TD chooses: Houston Texans

New York Jets @ Oakland Raiders
The Black Hole's a tough place to play. And the fact that the Raiders are underdogs in their own place has to have them seething a bit. That's if they're even paying attention. What I mean is that I don't think their coach has them ready. They're still too distracted by what happened. And there's still Al Davis. I see one way the Raiders win. Favre throws 3 INTs. It can happen. But not on Sunday. TD chooses: New York Jets

Indianapolis @ Green Bay
Hmm... Passing offense versus passing offense. Indy at 7th in passing. Green Bay at 10th. Combine that with worse than average defense and you get a good old fashioned shoot out. Indy has more weapons - still. But Green Bay has youth and spunk. Lambeau Field used to mean an automatic win for the Packers; now it's only an advantage that evens them. I say what wins this game is experience. TD chooses: Indianapolis Colts

Cleveland @ Washington
Cleveland: fluke or fact? Perhaps we saw the waking of the football team from last year. Then again, we might just have seen a flailing Giants teams attempting to do their best impression of the Three Stooges at the Dawg Pound. Something tells me that Cleveland's not a fluke, but they're not yet ready for consistent prime time. Combine that with the fact that Washington's smarting from a rather humiliating loss of their own to a bad Rams team. I think Cleveland gets run over. TD chooses: Washington Redskins

Seattle @ Tampa
Maybe a year ago this looked like a good game. But now? It just looks like an accident waiting to happen. Whether it's Seneca or Charlie, Tampa's going to be running them all day. They know how to play D. Perhaps, the Seachickens may want to take some notes. Especially since Garcia ain't no slouch. Did you see what he did to Carolina? I just don't even see this being competitive. TD chooses: Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Denver @ New England
New England's D looks old. Denver's O looks young. New England's O doesn't have Tom Brady; let's all agree that Cassel may be serviceable, but adds nothing special to the team dynamic. Yes, it's in New England. Yes, Denver will lose if they take Belichick and New England for granted. But they won't. TD chooses: Denver Broncos

Pick of the Week
Minnesota @ Chicago
Chicago is arguably the most balanced team out there. Better than average in everything they do. Minnesota's not far behind. Better than Chicago in rushing and D, but not in passing and overall offense. To make it even better, it's a battle of the NFC Norse divison outside at Soldier Field (in 63 degree weather). Everything tells me that I should not choose Minnesota. Their sloppy win against Detroit. Peterson's inability to hold onto the ball. The fans calling for Childress' head. But I stand up to them all. And I say Minnesota takes the NFC Norse lead. TD chooses: Minnesota Vikings

No comments: