Sunday, June 28, 2009

Sporting Rants and Raves (Sunday Edition): June 28, 2009

Happy 49th birthday to Mr. John Elway formerly of the Denver Broncos. Although never a fan of Orange Crush, I respected and admired Elway as one of the greatest QBs of all time. In addition, he participated in one of the best regular season games I've seen, a game that starred Joe Montana as QB of the Kansas City Chiefs against the Broncos' Elway.

Enjoy this trip back in time...


Yankees roll past Mets 5-0
The Yanks are having their way in the Subway Series this year, perhaps doomed by the Castillo drop in their first game. Mr. A.J. Burnett and two Yanks relievers managed to 2-hit the Metropolitans at Citi Field.

Brazil rallies to beat US in Confed Cup final, 3-2
I have mixed feelings about soccer. It's a great sport to play, so I've heard. And even to watch in the stands. In my estimation, it's much like hockey in that the cameras stay glued to the ball and not to the constant machinations away from the ball. To a first time observer - me - soccer looks very much like a fire drill with people descending on a large ball. But I've no doubt that there are formations and intricate strategies associated with the game.

In any case, the United States - after a startling win over heavily favored Spain - had the match against Brazil in the bag. Until they didn't... And found that they had lost 3-2. Alas, poor U.S.

What can Brown do for Indianapolis?
Suddenly, I have a reason to root for the Indianapolis Colts. So, I don't dislike the Colts. I'm rather indifferent, in fact. But now, Mr. Donald Brown formerly of the UCONN Huskies will play for the Colts. And though I'm not a graduate of UCONN, I must admit that UCONN gives to Connecticut the only serious major sports program in the state.

But wait, you might say if you knew I went to the University of Delaware, do you root for the Ravens? Absolutely not, I'd tell you. Why, if Joe Flacco's on the team. Because, I'd say with absolutely no logical reasoning, I just don't like them. And that would be good enough.

Shaq goes back to No. 33
Here is a headline that represents the antithesis of news. Except perhaps for all those retailers who need to know which Cavs jersey to sell. The more important question - and the news of this week - is... Can Shaq push the Cavs and Lebron over the top. I say no. I think the Cavs can win it, but it will be in spite of Shaq and his mouth. But still, it is intriguing.

Answers to Last Week's Trivia
Who had the longest streak of consecutive played games in the history of the MLB?
Cal Ripken
How many games (within 100)?
2,632
How many years did this streak span?
May 30, 1982 - September 20, 1998

In the interests of time, I will take a quick look back in sporting history. Twelve years ago today, Mike Tyson faced Evander Holyfield for the second time. Do you remember what happened?

As far as softball goes, the Thrusters finished at a mediocre 8-8 for the season. And the Buzz finished in 4th at 13-5. Congrats and thanks to both teams for a great season.

And now, I venture out on this perfect Seattle day. To all of my friends and family on the East Coast I hope that you may soon enjoy this weather too...

Until next I write, happy sporting...

No comments: