Thursday, December 17, 2009

TD's Week 15 Thursday and Saturday Night NFL Picks

These titles are getting longer and longer... Soon, they'll be playing professional football every night of the week.

Well, as I said, I am taking a hiatus of sorts... except for ranting and raving about sports. In this special edition, I simply choose the winners of the Thursday and Saturday night games:

Indianapolis @ Jacksonville
It's all over the news. Bill Polian says the Colts will play all the healthy players tonight. What does that mean exactly? It means that Bill Polian is speaking instead of Jim Caldwell and Peyton Manning. A stroke of genius, in fact, because it takes the pressure off the team and puts it on the GM. What do I think the Colts will do tonight? I think they'll play the game to win. You might recall a supposedly meaningless final game a few years ago in which the New England Patriots beat the New York Football Giants. Meaningless after all? No. What about injuries? Well, what about them? They happen. And if they happen, you find a way to suck it up and move on. What if the injury is to Peyton Manning? Yes, that would suck. Yes, that would most likely end the Colts' attempt at anything else this season. But what would be the difference, I ask, if Peyton got hurt in the final game of the season versus the first game of the playoffs? In the end, they're not the winners. Same outcome. So, I'm waxing poetic, and I haven't said anything about the opposing team. I'll say it here: the Jacksonville Jaguars are average. How do I call this game? I call it based on who should win given the better team, i.e. Indianapolis Colts. (Alas, my picks are at home - I'm typing at work - and I therefore can't say who I originally chose at the moment. I'll have to include that on Saturday...)

Dallas @ New Orleans
Dallas supposedly has the last, best shot to defeat the Saints. Based on record, perhaps. Based on play, not so much. Meanwhile, Sean Payton has, in my opinion, taken the correct approach to the undefeated season. Full speed ahead! Or better yet, just do it. That attitude is the one to have. And even if they don't win it all, we'll all know that they were one of the best offensive teams - at least - of the decade. You want me to talk about Dallas? Probably not. I already have a bias. But, that bias aside, I'll put it this way. Wade needs to take the Charlie Weis express. Jimmy Jones, I know you have an ego, but Wade just isn't the one. Move on. TD chooses: New Orleans Saints

No comments: