Monday, March 15, 2010

It's Personal: The Video Game I Beat

It was 1988. My brother and I visited the old man at his newly rented apartment in the wilds of Meriden. I can't remember if it was a Wednesday or a Friday. And there beneath the old man's television was the dark and light grey Nintendo console. Beside the box were a new-fangled laser gun and two controllers. My brother and I raced to them and obligatorily tried Duck Hunt for about 30 seconds. And then we moved to Super Mario Brothers. I can't even begin to say how many hours I spent playing that game. But I didn't beat it...

Soon after, I tried my hand at Mike Tyson's Punch Out. I beat Bald Bull, Soda Popinski, Don Flamenco, Glass Joe, and King Hippo. But did I ever beat Mike Tyson himself? Nope...

I played the Legend of Zelda. And then stopped after I got bored.

Tecmo Bowl. I couldn't beat the Bears.

Tetris? Yeah right...

Super Mario Brothers 2 was just weird with all the digging.

And Super Mario Brothers 3, forget the high level dungeons.

Ninja Gaiden was fun. But it wasn't much fun without someone else with whom to play.

And Contra was awesome with all those different types of weapons, but I lost interest.

No, there was only one game that kept me coming back. Day upon day and night after night, I hoarded the NES playing this RPG. And most to whom I speak do not remember it. It's name? Dragon Warrior. (It's name later changed to Dragon Quest.) I can't tell you how many different colored slimes I fought to get to the end of that game. And on the night I got to the end, I saw the dawn of the next day without going to sleep. I think it might have been the first time I had ever stayed up an entire night.

But it was during summer vacation, so it was all good...

No comments: