Monday, October 12, 2009

It's Personal: They said they wanted Hasselbeck...

Woke up rearing to go yesterday. Called the family. Discussed how bad Danbury freshman football is. How the weather is in Connecticut. How Uncle Mark expected the G-men to do. And how the only thing better than the Yankees winning would be the Red Sox losing.

Off to the Cathedral for high mass. Love the tribute they paid to Notre Dame with the beautifully singing choir. Waited after mass until the organist ceased his playing. We clap every week.

Walked into the crisp autumn breeze and saw a few leaves pass from the surrounding trees to the ground. I've always loved that fragrance of decaying leaves. Up Madison to Boyleston. Over to Pike in front of Linda's. Changed into the new UCONN sweatshirt and a Yankees hat.

I'm not a Seahawks fan, you see. I'll generally root for them when they're not playing the Giants. But yesterday, I wanted to support the friend for whom we purchased the tickets.

Taking a step back. Joseph and I wanted to attend a game. But we like to go with friends. Well, we have a friend who's from Jacksonville; he loves the Jags. We thought it the perfect opportunity. So, we bought four tickets. In Section 106. Row F. Literally six rows from the field. The closest I've ever sat in a stadium during the regular season.

We walked down the hill and underneath Nordstrom's to catch the relatively newly implemented light rail. Pretty easy way to travel. But no parking down south. Love the planning that goes into these things. Went from Westlake to the Stadiums. Made our way inside and watched warm-ups. Sitting in the sun at field level. Awesome seats. Waiting for a good game.

The first time Jacksonville had ever played in Qwest. The last time they were here, the Seahawks were playing in Huskies Stadium.

We got a few beers. Watched as neither team did much. Watched the scoreboard and saw that the Giants had demolished the Raiders. A Bagel win floored me. I thought the Cowboys would give one away. Saw the Browns and Bills in the Toilet Bowl. Et cetera.

Seattle scored with 6:19 remaining in the first. A field goal. And then another midway through the second. Jacksonville drove down to the Hawks' two. My friend turned to me and said, 'Jack's goin for it.' I shook my head and said they should take the points. In the end, Jack went for it and didn't get it. Though I can't say the three points would have changed much in the end.

After that, the Jags didn't get that close to the Hawks end zone until 14:01 in the fourth at which point it was 41-0. The worst loss the Jags have had since I was a freshman in college. And the best shutout for the Hawks since I was in the second grade.

The fans surrounding us were all sorts of happy. But my friend looked a tad shell-shocked. Not exactly upset. The anger had worn off some time in the third quarter when he realized that this game was just a fluke, a complete lemon.

And thus, I watched my fourth NFL game in the best seats I'd ever had. Not the greatest game I've seen. To tell the truth, it was one of the worst I've seen whether on television or in person.

And yet, it was still a great time. Why? Because of a text the old man sent during the game: 'Red sucks lost in 9th. Papbum blew 2 run lead. HOORAY!'

New York Football Giants win. Red Sox swept. And Yankees sweep. All in the same day.

HOORAY!

No comments: