Monday, October 5, 2009

It's Pesonal: Two to the Fifth

I take a break from the 'You Decide' post to bring you a heartfelt thank you for all the gifts and birthday wishes that you - my friends and family - bestowed on me.

I finished some work last Thursday evening. A little after 10:30 p.m. Ready for bed. Checked Facebook one last time. Saw a 'Happy Birthday' from Joseph's mother. My firsth birthday wish. It was the second in Memphis after all. I went to bed...

I woke to Joseph saying, 'Who's the birthday boy?' I smiled. He asked again in that tourettical way he has. Over and over. But I still smiled. Because I like my birthday.

I let the dogs out as is the norm and made my way back to the room just in time to hear my phone buzzing against the side table. 'Mom Cell' it read. 'Happy Birthday' she exclaimed. The first of the east coasters. She revealed that she had already purchased a subscription to The Economist for me. Great gift.

Into the shower and then out of the shower. I get out of the shower and find a gift bag next to the bed. I open it to find a Yankees hoodie. Awesome.

I was putzing in the kitchen when I heard the phone. The older white folks asking how the weather is. And wishing me a happy birthday.

Into the home office and on the computer. Wishes from Chris, Meno, Rusty, Heidi, Andy, Matt, Holden, Jeff, Jessica, Peanut, Josh, Kathleen, Jeremy, Jeff, Todd, Eminent, JM, Denny, Sean, Dawn, Ly, Abbie, Tony, Jonny, Joanne, Priscilla, Chris, Mike, and Uncle Dennis. In that order. Oh, and Robert, Pat, and Jean responded to my note of thanks.

Checked email. There was Uncle Mark's birthday email.

And another from a guy named David we met in Cancun.

A good start.

Off to work in the Impala. The usual morning. I told no one it was my birthday. Just walked around with a bit more bounce in my step wearing the Yankees hoodie with a matching hat.

About 10:30 a.m. Tara comes in and tells me there's a problem with a client. That she needs to see me in Steve's office immediately. I roll my eyes. There goes my day. I exit my office and walk towards Steve's. Only to be stopped by Tara outside a nearby conference room. Inside sat the department. All 15 or so. With a cake and a card. Awesome.

Got a text from my brother wishing me a happy birthday. From him, my sister-in-law, and my Goddaughter.

The rest of the day flew. Meetings and such. One where there were myriad Smarties. My favorite candy since childhood. Quite the sugar high by the time I left. And I left early.

The old man called too. Left a message. Sang happy birthday as he always does.

Got off work. Went home and relaxed. Waiting for Joseph to arrive so we could go out to dinner and the show. Joseph arrives and orders me back into the home office. Obviously maneuvering whatever gift he's purchased for me. He asks me if I'm going to take a shower before we leave. I say yes and do. Out of the shower in shorts and a t-shirt. Kinda too cold for that this time of year, but Joseph can't wait to show me what he got. I begin the short journey down the hallway and into the kitchen. But before a step to a place where I might see something, Joseph tells me to close my eyes. I do. And then he leads me into the kitchen. Turns me around. And I see what he's purchased.

Multiple bottles of different shapes and sizes. All beer. I've recently discovered that I like beer like others like wine or coffee or cheese or tea. I can taste subtle differences. Joseph got bottles from Russia, Japan, Ethiopia, Croatia, Germany, Belgium, Ireland, and elsewhere. Altogether more than 20 separate bottles. One of the most original and best presents I've received. Not to mention a gift certificate to Amazon. And to Valentine's, a gentleman's 'salon' in North Seattle that gives great haircuts, straight-razor shaves, and the like. A good place.

We dressed and made our way back into the city. Picked up a friend and went to the Taphouse Grill. 160 beers on tap. I started with a Weihenstephaner Korbinian. A German Doppelbock. Awesome. Had another beer called Coyote Moon Brown in honor of my Native American friend. Had a good showing at dinner. About 15 people. Food wasn't bad either.

Then came the cake. Of course, there had to be a cake. But then I saw the cake. It was a lime green. And atop it sat a black hat the likes of which a witch might wear. It wasn't so much of a coincidence that I was going to see Wicked immediately following dinner. Honestly, this cake deserved to be on one of those cake challenges on food network. And our friend who made it - Becki - happens to be an operations manager where Joseph works... in a lab. I just hope that she does this in her spare time because she is REALLY good at it. I hope we got a picture. But I can't say for sure.

Went off to the show. Great show. If you haven't and you like to read, read the book. Well, first you should read The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. Then you should read Wicked. Then rewatch the original movie. Then go see the play. Sheesh, I almost feel like I'm giving an assignment. But if you do it in this order, I think you'll get the most out of it. Unless you think in a stream of consciousness in which case you should try to do all four simultaneously and see what happens.

Left the show and made our way up to Purr. Not overly crowded. Saw a few more friends. Upstairs to have a few drinks as well as the seemingly required shot or two to finish off a birthday. Soon, it was approaching 1:30 and it was time to call it an evening. Joseph, well enough to drive, got us to Jack in the Box for some ill-advised vittles. We feel asleep on our respective couches surrounded by the pooches and didn't wake until the next morning.

Overall, a good birthday, this one that sees me at two to the fifth years old.

Again, many thanks to all of you for making it so...

An epilogue. Received a box at work today with a Giants and UCONN hat. A UCONN sweatshirt. A Yankees Divisional Championship t-shirt. A card that plays the Monday Night Football theme. And an actual Yankees jersey. Number 25 Mark Teixeira. The old man's work. You can be certain that I'll be wearing that come Friday.

1 comment:

Old Man said...

Thanks to all for making my son's birthday so special. Any man is wealthy with such good friends.
GO YANKS!