Saturday, October 17, 2009

Sporting Rants and Raves: October 17, 2009

Happy 40th birthday to Mr. Ernie Els, a South African professional golfer who has been one of the top professional players in the world since the mid-1990s. Known as 'The Big Easy' Els has won the U.S. Open twice (1994 and 1997) and the The Open Championship...

In addition, a happy anniversary to The Open Championship. Played for the first time on October 17, 1860 at Prestwick Golf Club in Ayrshire, Scotland, the field consisted of 8 professionals. Willie Park Sr. came away the winner that day...

Trivia of the Week
In what year did Mr. Ernie Els win The Open Championship? Extra Credit: Which American golfer is tied for second most number of 'British Open' wins? How many did he win?

Answers to October 10's Trivia of the Week
What American city serves as the National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing's Headquarters? NASCAR's headquarters are located in Daytona Beach, Florida, although it also maintains offices in four North Carolina cities: Charlotte, Mooresville, Concord, and Conover.
Extra Credit: In what year was the National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing formed? 1947 / 1948

MLB Playoffs
Red Sox exit after closer Papelbon loses lead
Old news? Perhaps. But it must still be acknowledged that Papelbon had a 5-2 lead coming into the game in the 8th. And I'll even give him the fact that a quick single scored 2 inherited runners. With a lead extended to 2 (6-4) in the 9th, he was facing team that were 7-54 (.130) against him. And he yielded 3 runs. Good night Boston...

Dodgers Complete Sweep of Cardinals With 5-1 Win in St. Louis
Never thought the Cards would lay down and die. But that's just what they did. Now there are questions surrounding La Russa and Pujols. Methinks the Cardinals' time has come and gone.

CC Sabathia and Yankees stop Angels cold
I didn't get to watch the game. In fact, I'm glad I didn't because I get too flummoxed at this time of year. Instead, I check up on them with my crackberry and on the internet at various intervals throughout the evening. When I asked Joseph to tell me who had won, he said that the Angels had. Given that I had last seen the Yankees up 4-1, I was surprised. And then he told me he was joking. And I let him know that it wasn't funny...

Dodgers rally, beat Phils and tie NLCS at 1-all
After the Phils pull off a win, the Dodgers do the same. Except L.A. did it with a grounder that should have been caught, a bunt, a pinch-hit single, and 2 walks. While the Phils did it with HRs. Now at 1-1, we'll see which team wants it more.

Longhorns looking for revenge in Red River Rivalry
Bitter and frothing at the mouth, Texas wants the Sooners' heads on a platter. But can the Longhorns get revenge for not being in the title game last year after the season ending 3-way tie? We shall soon see. OU's up 6-0 at the moment.

TD's NFL Picks - Week 6
A few good games this week, but one you might call premiere. And it isn't even in prime time. Remove the 'New' from each and you have York v. Orleans. A new age conflict between two of the Old World's oldest foes. Who shall win this battle in the heart of Louisiana?

Houston @ Cincinnati
Anyone else surprised about Cincinnati? Nuevecuatro lighting up the field. Carson Palmer on fire. The defense shutting people down. A win against the Ravens to boot. I can't overlook them any more. Although I am concerned about a strong offense on Houston's part. Still, the Texans look porous on D. TD chooses: Cincinnati Bengals

St. Louis @ Jacksonville
If Jax does what they did last week, they may just lose. My guess is that they won't, especially after Jones-Drew's commentary. I said at the beginning of this season that St. Louis will be 0-16. I'm still pretty confident in that assessment. TD chooses: Jacksonville Jaguars

Cleveland @ Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh is not the team they were last year. They're missing something though I can't say what. And no it's not the defensive end they lost for the year. It's chemistry. Yes, you may say, but they're playing Cleveland. Without Braylon Edwards. And with a guy I'm beginning to think is a bit of a schmuck, i.e. Eric Mangini. But be very careful Pittsburgh because Cleveland still considers you an archrival, and anything can happen in that scenario. TD chooses: Pittsburgh Steelers

Baltimore @ Minnesota
The Ravens can't be happy. Hell, Lewis is getting fined right and left. They're also a game behind the Bagels. So, I think they'll come to play this Sunday. But Minnesota ain't no slouch of a team. I think the Ravens have to concentrate on getting to the QB and putting him out so that they can concentrate on the RB during the second half. But I don't think this is going to be a game that shows the Ravens defensive prowess. Quite the opposite, I think the Ravens offense better be preparing for Jared Allen and the Minnesota D. I just think Minnesota is too strong. TD chooses: Minnesota Vikings

Detroit @ Green Bay
I can see Detroit pulling this off. Really, I can. Problem is that Stafford and Johnson will most likely be limited this weekend if not out altogether. For that reason, TD chooses: Green Bay Packers

Carolina @ Tampa Bay
There's a pretty clear split in the NFC South. There are 2 teams that are good. And 2 that are bad. These 2 aren't the former. I'm not certain that Tampa has what it takes to win this game. They just aren't putting up any offense of which to speak. Carolina, meanwhile, showed some signs of life last week, even if against the Redskins. Again, I put my faith in John Fox. TD chooses: Carolina Panthers

Kansas City @ Washington
After this game, Washington will be the only team in NFL history to play 6 teams with no wins (at the time they played the team). Okay, so that's a little deceiving. They did play the Jints their first week. But after that, they played St. Louis, Detroit, Tampa Bay, and Carolina. And they're only 2-3. Wow. Now, they play Chiefs. And honestly, I don't think Washington's the better team. TD chooses: Kansas City Chiefs

Philadelphia @ Oakland
The Raiders shouldn't even be on the field until they figure out who is going to the QB of the future. Because Jamarcus ain't the guy. TD chooses: Phialdelphia Eagles

Arizona @ Seattle
The Seahawks impressed me last week. Their passing attack was on point. Their defense was swarming. And Hasselbeck was all over the place. This week, they face a much more explosive team in the Cardinals. Not to mention the fact that Arizona is in the division. So, this is a pretty big game. I say Seattle comes to play again. (And don't underestimate home field for the Hawks. It's substantial.) TD chooses: Seattle Seahawks

Tennessee @ New England
In years past, this would have been a game to watch. This year, I'm thinking not so much. What happened to Tennessee? Don't tell me they just got old. And that it's because of Haynesworth. There has to be something else. Eh, oh well. TD chooses: New England Patriots

Buffalo @ New York Jets
New York lost a heart breaker to the Dolphins last week. They can't lose another lest they fall behind the Pats. I think Buffalo can be explosive given their weapons, but they certainly haven't shown anything thus far this season. I think Ryan will have his Jets rearing to go. TD chooses: New York Jets

Chicago @ Atlanta
This is a game worthy of prime time. Two 3-1 teams - both behind undefeated teams - are vying for their respective divisions. Chicago has a well-balanced team, and Jay Cutler looks like he's coming along well. Atlanta has a potentially explosive offense; just look at the shellacking they gave to San Fran last week. Strength of schedule goes to Atlanta, but just barely. Before the season, I chose Chicago to win this game. At this moment, I have a feeling it will go the other way. TD chooses: Atlanta Falcons

Denver @ San Diego
Denver is 5-0. Denver. 5-0. Denver? 5-0? Yeah, but their schedule... Unfortunately, that doesn't work either. I'll give you the lands of Cleve and Oak. Maybe even Dallas, though they're at least competitive. But Cincinnati and New England? Cincy in the last 12 seconds. Yes, a given. And on a fluke, you might add. Yes, agree with that. So, you say, it was only New England. True. But it was still New England. And that was their most recent game. They're getting better, gaining confidence. I haven't even discussed San Diego. Wins against Oakland and Miami. Okay. Losses to Baltimore and Pittsburgh. That loss to Pittsburgh was worse than it looked. They have to learn to put together a full game. But I'm not certain Norv Turner is particularly capable. Okay, fine, I'm not a fan but TD chooses: Denver Broncos

Game of the Week
New York Giants @ New Orleans Saints
So many story lines. Eli against his dad's old team. Eli returning to the home of his youth. Shockey against his old team. A game between unbeatens. First time Eli has played in the Superdome. A meeting of two top quarterbacks in Manning and Brees. And there's even the fake one I made up top about New France and New England opposing each other once again in the New World. How 'bout the brass tacks? NY and NO have 2 of this year's best running attacks. Each also has strong passing games. So, I don't think this will be about the offense. Instead, I think the difference in the game will be on defense. Who has the better defense? I think the G-men do. Then again, you might argue that 4 of their 5 opponents haven't given them a particularly good game (Washington, Tampa, KC, Oakland) and that the one that did - Dallas - is not as good as people thought they might be. New Orleans, on the other hand, blew out Philly and beat the Jets. Not too shabby there. I think this could be quite the game. TD chooses: New York Football Giants

I've been a tad more verbose than usual on this rainy Seattle morning - now afternoon. I must be off to study. One week until the GMAT. Until next I write, happy sporting...

No comments: