Thursday, October 28, 2010

Figuring Out Food: Pearl Bistro

I have recently discovered food. Don't get me wrong; I've been involved in the consumption of food my entire life. I can admit to having had wonderful steak, turkey, mashed sweet potatoes, ice cream, green bean casserole; well, you get the idea. But it hasn't really dawned on me - until recently - to savor that food or to try to taste the ingredients of a dish. Instead, I've been scarfing food down for well over 15 years. In fact, that scarfing led to a complete disregard for portion control, which in turn led to weight gain. Not because I wanted all that food, but because all that food was in front of me.

But not anymore. Instead of scarfing - unless I have no choice - I masticate and contemplate.

Segue...

Last night, I caught a nightmare of a bus late in the evening. Packed to the gills, there was little room to move. It was an adventure every time someone needed to get off the bus. Eventually, I made it back to my room; I made a call, did some work, and generally attempted to relax after a hellish day.

A little after 10 p.m. I noticed my stomach gurgling. I could - as I had the prior night - pull out the rice cooker, steam some vegetables, and have rice and vegetables with a hint of soy. Instead, I decided that I wanted something more. I pulled on my coat and walked swiftly towards the main thoroughfare, mostly to warm myself on the cold night. I walked down restaurant row, trying to decide what I wanted. Of course, the decision was made easier by the fact that a majority of the restaurants had closed at 10.

I had my choice of a Middle Eastern spot with halal meat, a Vietnamese restaurant, or a pizza joint. I chose Vietnamese.

I opened the door to the Pearl Bistro and found myself in the midst of a very ordinary and very yellow Asian restaurant. Although I didn't count, I'd estimate the rather sizeable space had 25-30 tables, which didn't come close to filling the floor. In front of me, I couldn't help but see the gigantic yellow Koi in a tank much too small for it. At the back was a young woman counting money at the cash register, and behind that was the kitchen where I saw an Asian head pop up to see who had entered.

A middle-aged Vietnamese man approached me and asked me if I wanted to sit. I declined and said, 'To go'. He handed me a menu. I sat at one of the tables and contemplated my choices. Not in a particularly adventurous mood, I ordered the egg rolls and vegetable stir fry with chicken with number 4 spice out of 4. I closed the menu and stared at the large television. The Portland Trailblazers were finishing their game against the LA Clippers. I wasn't really watching; I couldn't care less about the NBA. The gentleman brought the bill to me, which I paid in turn. I then waited.

After approximately 15 minutes, the gentleman tied the plastic bag around the 'To Go' containers and sent me on my way. I walked back to the room and readied for my meal.

From the bag I pulled 2 smaller containers and 1 large container as well as a napkin wrapped around both chopsticks and a fork. I've noticed that in Asian restaurants, the servers are normally hesitant to offer chopsticks to a Caucasian. I'm glad they did to me as I prefer them for Asian food.

In one of the smaller containers were 2 egg rolls as well as the sweet fish sauce. I decided against the sauce but bit into the egg roll. Still hot, the cabbage filled roll had good texture. I tried to discern the contents of the egg roll, but failed miserably; Asian cuisine is still rather foreign to me, go figure.

I opened the other containers. The smaller housed white rice; the larger, stir fry. The spicy heat wafted into my nose and eyes. I mixed the two and proceeded to eat. I secured a piece of chicken and a carrot between my chopsticks. The spice subtly struck a few moments later. Not as hot as it could have been, but sufficient. The vegetables proved to be a bit weepy; I like my carrots and broccoli a bit firmer. The chicken was moist enough, the norm for an Asian restaurant. And with the spice, I thought it a good and different meal.

I finished both egg rolls and half the meal feeling satisfied. What was more satisfying was that I had the remainder of the food this evening. You can't beat two sizeable meals for $17.

I can't say it's the best Asian food I've ever had, but I'd certainly venture back if only to try a few more dishes. And to see that ginormous Koi again.

No comments: