Monday, March 2, 2009

Art in All its Forms: Tyler Perry's Madea Goes to Jail

Joseph and I ventured to The Landing in Renton this past weekend. I needed cleats. And Joseph wanted to see Tyler Perry's Madea Goes to Jail.

We hunkered down in the exceptionally comfortable chairs - though for an $8.00 matinee ticket they better be comfortable - and watched the lights dim. We watched the trailers. Something about a witch in a mountain with the Dwayne formerly known as the rock. A story about some haunted house in northern Connecticut. And when the movie trailer announcer guy said Connecticut, Joseph got all excited and nudged me given that I am a Connecticutian after all. There were a few other forgettable movies introduced, but obviously nothing in which I had an interest.

Then there was the movie. Now, mind you, I didn't really want to see Madea go to jail. Not that I care all that much about Madea. I mean, whether she goes to jail or not. Oh, you know what I mean.

I saw that the critics had given the movie a C. I also understood that this movie would most likely be uneven, tenuous in places, ridiculous in others, and somewhat glib overall. Let's face it, a 6'6" man dressed as an old woman acting as the comedic conscience of a middle class African-American family is just asking to fall on its face. Not to mention the fact that Derek Luke did not play a lawyer well. And I just can't get past Rudy Huckleberry being a prostitute.

With all that said, however, the movie wasn't a complete failure. In fact I don't think I'd call it a failure at all. Because it doesn't take itself too seriously. It's a morality play that laughs at itself and gets away with it. Madea is funny. As well as Brown in his outfits and Uncle Joe constantly smoking weed. And though Luke and Knight Pulliam just don't feel right in their respective roles, they still manage to deliver the Christian message for which Tyler Perry is known.

Would I spend another $8.00 to see a movie of this caliber? If Joseph is adamant, I may. But not if I had my choice. Still, I do not wish for those 2 hours of my life back. And I laughed, something I realize I do too infrequently.

For those of you who have never seen a Tyler Perry production. I'd suggest you see Diary of a Mad Black Woman or Family Reunion. Or you can see any of his plays on DVD.

No comments: