Saturday, March 28, 2009

Sporting Rants and Raves: March 28, 2009

Happy 35th birthday to professional snooker player Mark King. One of the more colorful players on the circuit, King has not yet won a championship mainly because he tends to lose control of the cue ball during the break. Snooker? A pocket billiards game originated by British officers in India during the 19th century. Mainly played in Britain, the game's name seems to have come from a common slang reference to inexperienced personnel in the British army. For all of you in the states who want to play, there is an 'Official Website of the Governing Body of Snooker in the United States' at snookerusa.com.

Earlier this year, I spoke about the fact that I had no idea the Columbus Blue Jackets were actually a professional hockey team in the NHL. Today, I read that a Calgary Flames fan decided to threaten the Blue Jackets goalie during a 5-0 shellacking that Columbus put on Calgary. The Flames are on the verge of winning their division and need the stars to align NOT to reach the playoffs. The Blue Jackets, on the other hand, are on the verge of making their first ever appearance in the NHL playoffs. My advice to the fan? Take a long walk off a short pier.

The brackets. I'm mediocre at best. In the work league, I had a final four of Wake Forest, Memphis, UNC, and Pitt. With UNC winning. Things ain't lookin good in that one. With my west coast friends, I had Louisville, UCONN, UNC, and Pitt. All number ones, which I think somewhat blah. But this is also the league in which I have the best shot at winning. With my east coast friends, I had the same final four as in the work league. And thus, ick. Such is life... Still fun.

I opened the NFL front page on yahoo just a moment ago and saw none other than Jeff George. As much as he wants to claim that he's ready to come back because he still has the arm for the NFL, does anyone else really think that the rest of his body can take the beating that these ridiculously large and fast defensive linemen will deliver? UFL for you, Jeff.

Trivia of the Week (Multiple Questions): Jeff George was the first pick in the 1990 draft. His active career - up to this point - lasted 11 years and included 5 different teams. For which team was he drafted? On which team did he play when he made his first playoff appearance? On which team did he play when he won his first playoff game? George also had an 'inactive' career with 3 teams after the 2001 season. Name them.

One week and two days until opening day. The smell of leather and newly cut grass. The feel of the cool breeze. Peanuts and beer. A box of crackerjack to boot. Wooden bats thudding thunderously against a speeding ball. Ah, baseball.

How is it that the Lakers have a 10-game lead over the next closest team in the West (Spurs)? And, again, how is it that the East has so many teams with greater than .700 winning percentage? Seems strange to me.

What do you think of miking caddies? It seems the PGA is considering broadcasting the conversations to give golf fans an ear into the decision making for professional golfers. At issue? The caddies are concerned that they will need to monitor what they're saying at all times during the match - both during playing time and down time. My take? I think there are places where microphones don't need to be. I believe in making the broadcasts better, but imposing a microphone might just make the play worse. I vote no mikes.

The vicodin is causing my eyes to droop ever so slowly... Oh yes, I had a minor dental surgery this past Friday. The dentist - a rather talented one at that - cut a swath of skin from the roof of my mouth and applied it to the gums on the upper right side of my mouth to help slow receding gums and cover exposed teeth roots. Perhaps that qualifies as TMI, but it seems to have worked with the extra side effect that it hurts - not as much as four extracted wisdom teeth - until I down a pill that subsequently makes me sleepy.

That said, I will ask this week's question of the week. I'm not here to talk about the alleged NCAA recruiting violations made by the University of Connecticut; UCONN and the NCAA can figure that one out. I'd rather ask why UCONN wanted to recruit Mr. Nate Miles in the first place. Calhoun didn't need Miles; look at the team he had, after all. And Miles had a checkered past to boot. Five high schools in four years because of behavior problems. And later expelled from UCONN because he violated a restraining order after having been accused of attempting to force a woman - according to sources, his girlfriend at the time - to have sex. If nothing else, I think the entire recruitment proves that Calhoun - and others who recruited Miles - showed bad judgment off the court. I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Trying to win at all costs sends the worst possible message to those looking for heroes and mentors. For that reason, I think UCONN's basketball program should reevaluate itself and figure out its true vision and mission.

Trivia of the Week (Multiple Questions): Jeff George was the first pick in the 1990 draft. His active career - up to this point - lasted 11 years and included 5 different teams.
For which team was he drafted? Indianapolis Colts
On which team did he play when he made his first playoff appearance? Atlanta Falcons
On which team did he play when he won his first playoff game? Minnesota Vikings
George also had an 'inactive' career with 3 teams after the 2001 season. Name them. Seattle Seahawks, Chicago Bears, Oakland Raiders.

2 comments:

The Old man said...

Dental surgery? In case you are beginning the trip down alzheimers path remember that I still have a small mortgage on your butt. If you recall my past rants that, "I still own his teeth and I can take them upto and beyond my death or his!"? Your actions here put into jeapardy my property and without notifying me of your health issue or the outcome is both selfish and rude. 3000 miles doesn't mean I don't care or worry so how about a E-mail or whatever.
Also watched UCONN last night against Purdue and now beginning to believe "WE COULD GO ALL THE WAY!" LET'S GO (REAL) HUSKIES!

the Old man said...

Oh Yeah. Regarding the pills. You're from Connecticut so suck it up! Red Sox fans take meds not us. Pain is redemptive. Besides why not beer? Ballantine Ale to be exact! If it don't cure you it may damn well kill you but either way you'll feel better. Also softball season is coming up and what better way to make an impression on your oponents that a crazed vicious countenance with missing teeth coming to bat. Are you a red sox wuss or a YANKEE HERO?