Sunday, March 15, 2009

Sunday Scribblings: Dear Past Me, Dear Future Me

I approached this as if I would be able to hand these letters to myself at these specific points in time. Because I believe that saying too much would most likely influence my decisions in those respective continuums, I have decided to keep these rather vague and short, while still saying something worthwhile.

Dear 1989 Me,

Things aren't as bad as they seem right now. I understand that the divorce was difficult. And that you are altogether confused about a great many things. But, there is no doubt that you're on the right track. Remember that a little fear is good. Also remember that your shadow is your friend.

-TD

Dear 1999 Me,

You've hit a bit of a lull. You're questioning everything from the establishment to your own values. You're wondering if you'll ever finish college since they put such weight on grades and appearances and such. And you feel altogether awkward in your own skin. You're learning that life is about living for its own sake. You have your first taste of virtue. Just wait a couple years and you'll see what I mean. Again, you're on the right track. It's not about everyone else. Rather, it's about you and what you believe. Hold fast and endure.

-TD

Dear 2019 Me,

The year 2012 has come and gone and it seems the Mayans got it wrong after all. I'd imagine you've finally hit your stride as you've always believed that you'd be the happiest and most effective between the ages of 40-60, the autumn of your life. I'd imagine you've finally experienced a significant loss, and for that I am sorry. But from this loss, I'd also imagine that you have gained a great deal more. I can't imagine you're in an even remotely similar occupation, though with the jobs you've had up to the point that I write this letter, it's possible. Above all, I hope you are finding time for prayer, meditation, and thought in what promises to be a busier and more distracting existence. The only way humanity makes great leaps while simultaneously grounding itself is through prayer, meditation, and thought.

-TD

3 comments:

Tumblewords: said...

Beautifully done!

Anonymous said...

You took the opposite direction to me - I went for direct meddling!

That was lovely, and interesting that you feel that the 'autumn' of your life will be your best.

Rinkly Rimes said...

What is the Autumn of life? I'm 78 and I haven't reached Winter yet!