Monday, March 23, 2009

Art in All Its Forms: Words Part I

I warned you all that I love words. How letters play together - or don't - and form these soundly conglomerations. I love English especially, with its multitudinous exceptions and ghastly oddities.

For the sake of time, I can discuss but one type of word oddity - or wordity as I like to call them.

An isogram is a logological term for a word or phrase without a repeating letter. It is also used by some to mean a word or phrase in which each letter appears the same number of times, not necessarily just once.

The longest common isogram in the English language: Uncopyrightables

The longest common pair isogram (each letter is used twice and only twice in the word): Intestines

How about the longest common trio isogram (each letter is used thrice and only thrice in the word)?

I'll give you a hint... 'To have transferred a document sealed as an instrument of bond, contract, or conveyance, especially relating to property'

Check back tomorrow for the answer...

No comments: