Saturday, February 21, 2009

Sporting Rants and Raves: February 21, 2009

Happy 26th birthday Mr. Braylon Edwards of the 4-12 Cleveland Browns. Known more for his drops than his catches this past season, Edwards is on the verge of overstaying his welcome in the Dawg Pound. Here's hoping the Brownies can put something together in the near future.

I'm tired of A-Rod. Any MLB team out there that wants him? I'm looking to offload.

The Boston Celtics have had a significant blow to their lineup with the loss of Kevin Garnett for 2-3 weeks. Suns, Nuggets, Clippers, Pacers are their next 4. I'll say win, loss, win, win. With Kevin it would have been 4 for 4.

In baseball, people score runs. In soccer, goals. In football, touchdowns, safeties, field goals, extra points, two-point conversions. In basketball, points. And then there's hockey in which players collect points and score goals. Both? I often wondered when I was younger. It just didn't make any sense. I mean, it's either one or the other right? Wrong. In hockey, players indeed score goals, which themselves are points. But only one type of point. The other type of point is an assist in scoring a goal. If a player scores two goals and has two assists in a game, for instance, that player has four points. Why do they do it this way in hockey? Canadians just do things differently, I suppose.

Random trivia: Who collected the most points in a single game in NHL history? (Answer is below)

In a story I can only describe as being 'odd' 'Boo Hoo' Lou Holtz will be leading a team calling itself the Notre Dame 'Legends' in a game against a previously unnamed Japanese team in a dome somewhere in Tokyo (better known as the Tokyo Dome). This 'contest' will take place on July 25th with Joe 'Joe Cool' Montana attending as a celebrity ambassador. Don't get me wrong, I think this is cool, 'Joe Cool'. But, huh?

March is coming. The madness approacheth. And I shall soon be dressing in my UCONN hoodies to cheer them on. (Especially since Delaware ain't doin' nothin' this year.)

Too often do I neglect women's sports in these sporting rants and raves. But no longer. That said, is anyone else really surprised that the Lady Huskies have a conference record of 12-0 and an overall record of 26-0? I suppose I was surprised to find out that Tennessee isn't in the top 5. C'est la vie.

Another sport I don't much mention: NASCAR. In a strange twist Paul Chodora of Jeremy Mayfield's crew has been suspended indefinitely for violating the new substance abuse policy. It was one of those high octane drugs.

As soon as Tiger opens his mouth, the entire golfing world seems to drop off the map. And though only a middle name, Axel? Really?

Would you allow Michael Vick back into the league? Better stated, would anyone other than a 49ers, Vikings, or Lions fan want that? I could tell you what Kennesaw Mountain Landis would say.

And not only does the madness approach. There's also the anticipation of spring training.

Seattle smiles at Junior's return.

This week's question: First of all how do you say Nnamdi Asomugha? Second of all, why are the Oakland Raiders paying him more than Indianapolis pays Peyton Manning? And why is Shane Lechler - also of the Oakland Raiders - being paid $4 million to punt? Another sign of Al Davis' complete disconnection from reality? Probably. A blow to all other NFL teams for which the bar has been raised? I suppose. Laughter in the faces of the American people who are losing jobs and houses at alarming rates? Most definitely. I wonder when the major professional sports - football, baseball, and basketball in the U.S. - will feel this economic recession. I wonder what will happen when they can't pack the stands or seats or arenas. Unfortunately, I don't think it will happen. Instead, professional athletes will be paid ridiculous amounts of money while teachers and nurses receive a relative pittance. I don't have a solution. Do you?

Who collected the most points in a single game in NHL history? Darryl Sittler of the Toronto Maple Leafs (not Leaves) on February 7, 1976. He scored 6 goals and had 4 assists against the Boston Bruins.

No comments: