Saturday, April 18, 2009

Sporting Rants and Raves: April 18, 2009

Happy 36th birthday to Mr. Haile Gebrselassie, an Ethiopian long distance track and road running athlete from Ethiopia. Considered one of the best long distance runners of all time, Gebreselassie runs the equivalent of approximately 12.5 miles per hour. Considering that it's comfortable for me to run between 7-8 miles per hour on the elliptical - not really a 'true' speed - 12.5 miles per hour seems astronomical. And how did he become a long distance runner? He used to run 10 km (approx 6.2 miles) to school each morning and from school each evening. Wow...

NFL news abounds since last I wrote.

Mr. John Earl Madden has retired from the broadcasting booth after 30 years. Not to mention his 10 years as the Oakland Raiders head coach amassing the best winning percentage in NFL history for a coach who won more than 100 games (103-32-7). And also not to mention his impact on football through his Madden series video games. As Peter King of SI admitted, it's very difficult to pigeon-hole the guy. Instead, whether you loved or hated his delivery, I think it's important to recognize his contribution to the game.

The schedule... Released this past Tuesday, we now know what next season's landscape will be. Based on the New York Football Giants' schedule, I anticipate 10 wins. The toughest part of their schedule will be at the end of the season. Dallas, Philly, @Washington, Carolina, and @Minnesota. That stretch will determine whether Dallas or the Jints will win the division.

On another New York football scheduling note, the NFL has announced that the Jets-Titans game on September 27th will be moved from 4:15 p.m. eastern to 1 p.m. eastern to honor the celebration of Yom Kippur. Do people really not look at these things?

Finally, the NFL Draft is coming. And I won't even be here to watch. I'll have to follow up after I get to Cancun.

In other news...

The new Yankee Stadium opens. The Yanks lose. Next night, Jeter sends one into the stands in the eighth and Rivera shuts down the Indians for a win in their new home. They sit at 6-5. Now, I bet you didn't think the Blue Jays and Orioles would be ahead of them with the Rays and Redsocks lagging behind. Early yet, certainly. But still.

The M's get Griffey back. The M's start winning. After 100+ losses last season, Seattle is bubbling with enthusiasm. It's not because of Griffey, mind you, but because every one of the M's mediocre pitchers has come out strong. For now. The key will be middle relief and closers down the stretch.

Gary Sheffield hits 500 home runs as a Met. Raise your hand if you care. Understood, moving on.

Trivia of the Week: Who was the first person to hit 500 home runs? Who was the youngest person to hit 500 home runs? Name the three players who reached 500 home runs prior to 1950. Name at least 1 player who reached 500 home runs in each of the last 5 decades (1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s).

Chicago defeats the Boston Celtics. Perhaps the Celts will come back to win the series, but I don't think they'll get much further with Garnett's absence.

I predict Cleveland will oust Detroit. The Magic will make the 76ers disappear. The Heat will fry the Hawks. The Lakers will drown the Jazz. The Nuggets will rock the Hornets. The Spurs will spike the Mavs. And the only Northwest team left will blaze a trail through Houston.

Mind you, I don't follow basketball and I can't choose playoff winners to save my life. So, forget everything I just said.

Rangers win! Now if only I was a Rangers fan. New York Rangers, that is. I haven't been a fan of a team since the New Haven Nighthawks.

Even so, the NHL playoffs have also begun. And thus, I will randomly call out who will win these first round contests though I know nothing of the teams.

In the east... Boston is well on its way to French frying some Canadiens. The Rangers will Capitalize. I'll root for Carolina aka the Hartford Whalers. And in the battle for Pennsylvania, I'll take the Eagles over the Steelers.

In the west... The Sharks are going to cause Anaheim to be some dead Ducks. I'd love to choose Columbus against the Octopi, but alas, methinks they'll be blue about the outcome. Speaking of the blues, I choose the northwestern Canucks to give St. Louis some of their own medicine. And finally, I think the Blackhawks have a good chance to char the Flames.

Again, I warn you of my ignorance of hockey and my abominable record choosing in the playoffs.

I leave you now at approximately 4 p.m. Pacific shaking my head as the New York Yankees are losing 20-4. Honestly, what's the deal this year with Chien-Ming Wang?

Trivia of the Week:
Who was the first person to hit 500 home runs? Babe Ruth
Who was the youngest person to hit 500 home runs? Alex Rodriguez
Name the three players who reached 500 home runs prior to 1950. Babe Ruth, Mel Ott, Jimmie Foxx
Name at least 1 player who reached 500 home runs in each of the last 5 decades.
1960s - Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle, Ted Williams, Eddie Matthews
1970s - Frank Robinson, Harmon Killebrew, Willie McCovey, Ernie Banks
1980s - Reggie Jackson, Mike Schmidt
1990s - Mark McGwire, Eddie Murray
2000s - Barry Bonds, Ken Griffey Jr., Sammy Sosa, Rafael Palmeiro, Alex Rodriguez, Jim Thome, Manny Ramirez, Frank Thomas, Gary Sheffield

(Quite a telling stat, don't you think?)

Until next I write, happy sporting...

1 comment:

la dolce said...

John Madden... FINALLY.