Sunday, April 5, 2009

Sunday Scribblings: Celebrate Good Times

The past week had been particularly challenging for me. Between work, home, and softball I was struggling to keep up. A friend of mine reminded me that it happens sometimes. And though I understand that, I - as a perfectionist - don't take any kind of failure well, I must admit that today's topic has given me a chance to pause and count the grains of sand on the beach. I step back and recognize all that I have to celebrate. I thus combine the Thursday 13 and Sunday Scribblings to give you 13 things I celebrate.

I celebrate Joseph for his humor, his desire, and his kind heart.

I celebrate all of my family. The old man. My mother. Uncle Mark, Ruth, Julia. The older white folks. My brother, sister-in-law, and little Madison. My other mother. My sister and niece. My brother and other two nieces. And all the rest. (I know that's cheating, but they would have taken up 13 all by themselves.)

I celebrate my friends. The ones on the least coast, the left coast, and everywhere between. (If any of you happen to be traveling to the outer reaches of the globe, I celebrate you too.)

I celebrate my health. Sure, I have a few bumps and bruises. A few things out of place and such. But for the most part, I have no complaints.

I celebrate the menagerie. Cleo and Buddy on one side. Hemingway and Macavity on the other.

I celebrate my job. Just the fact that I have one is a blessing. The fact that it is a challenge, all the better.

I celebrate living in Seattle. Mountains. Oceans. Lakes. Hills. Trees aplenty. You really should come and see Mt. Rainier on a clear day.

I celebrate good reads. A story that keeps me on edge. The twist. The sad moment. The happy ending.

I celebrate football. I love the sport. It taught me how to be a man.

I celebrate baseball and softball. Genetically introduced at birth, the game is as mind-provoking as chess for those who know how to play. I celebrate the Thrusters and Buzz especially - the team on which I play and the team I coach respectively. I think we'll have a couple good seasons.

I belatedly celebrate my 31.5 birthday. It was 4/2.

I celebrate my 203rd blog entry.

And I celebrate my faith in God.

I leave you with these 13 and suggest you take a moment and think about what you celebrate. It's an eye opener.

1 comment:

Tammy Brierly said...

Happy Birthday! You have so many wonderful reasons to celebrate. Your state is beautiful.