Thursday, April 23, 2009

Thursday 13: Vacation

As I prepare to venture across the southern border with Joseph, I have decided to list 13 things to which I'm looking forward in Cancun:

  1. Cab drivers who know no English until you realize you don't have enough money to pay them.
  2. Blinding the others at the resort with my glow-in-the-dark white skin.
  3. Sand everywhere.
  4. The prediction that there will be scattered showers or isolated thunderstorms every day but May Day according to the Weather Channel's 10-day outlook.
  5. Leaving just as the weather in Seattle becomes sunny and 70.
  6. Swimming in the undertow at night with sharks and jellyfish.
  7. Asking those involved in the drug war if they can't just get along.
  8. Tap water, yum...
  9. Reapplying SPF 75 every 15 minutes in the shade.
  10. Speaking broken Spanish to natives who laugh at the funny tall white man who tries too hard.
  11. Finding out the Mayan short calendar was even shorter than the Mayans expected.
  12. Thinking about the 5 days of work I'll be making up when I return... over the next 6 months.
  13. Flipping back and forth between CNN Mexico and Spanish voiced over episodes of Sanford and Son while recovering from Montezuma's revenge after drinking the tap water.

But honestly, this is our first real vacation in 7 years. It's about time.

That said, I have decided to take a break from all commitments during this week, including the blog (although I may post during the middle of the week to let you know how things are going). I shall therefore pick back up when I return next Monday evening for and 'It's Personal' entry.

Hasta luego!

2 comments:

susan said...

Hope you have a great trip.

Uncle Mark said...

Have a safe and Wonderful trip and take plenty of pictures that u can post... Don't drink the WATER!!!! Seven + years without a vacation, I'd say that you are due for one... Try not to think too much about work ;-)

Love Ya,

Uncle Mark