Wednesday, January 14, 2009

3WW: An Affair

Disclaimer: This story is a work of fiction. No characters are based on real people, whether living or dead. Any resemblance to a real person is pure coincidence.

June 17, 2003
Entwined in a love affair with Mike’s wife, Ally. We were high school sweethearts after all. And we’re still in love. I should tell my him, I know. But how do you tell your insanely jealous brother that kind of thing?

June 24, 2003
Another tryst. She says she loves me. And I her. We decide to elope. She will leave her kids. I must tread lightly. I can’t exactly give my two week notice at the family restaurant. I can’t do that to my parents. My father with his weak heart after our older brother Tim died in that accident. Mom barely keeping her sanity. She lived for her three boys. Now for her two boys. Maybe I should reconsider.

July 5, 2003
An awkward 4th. All the family. Mike and his family. Cousins galore. Fireworks. Hot dogs. Lasagna. Mom even came out of the house for a little while. Mike got really drunk later that night. We both stayed at home in our old room. He told me about his marital problems. How he’s cheating on Ally with his bimbo secretary. How he’s trying to find a way out of the marriage. I didn’t say anything. It wasn’t the time. But I think I have the out.

July 18, 2003
Forfeited our softball game today. Mike didn’t show. Haven’t heard from Ally either. It’s been a week. Called mom and dad who said they went on a retreat. The kids are staying with the parents. Unlike them to disappear like that without saying anything.

July 23, 2003
I find out they went away to some weekend retreat in New York where they learn to love again. When they got back they invited me over for dinner. Ally told Mike about us. But he didn't freak out. I was surprised. He had told her about the secretary too. No more secrets, they said. They asked me to honor their commitment. How can I? I love her. But I couldn't say that. Not then. It wasn't the right time. Never the right time.

July 25, 2003
I was killed.

5 comments:

anthonynorth said...

A shock ending, there. Nice.

Anonymous said...

Good one :)

Thom Gabrukiewicz said...

The end is quite a shock. I like the chronology approach used. Very interesting.

Anonymous said...

shocked ending! does it mean he really die or was that emotionally?

Anonymous said...

dang... excellent, excellent... did i say how much i enjoyed reading that... sounds so real... as if i am reading someone's life and they decided to leave it on a piece of paper so someone would remember... and not forget...