Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Video of the Week: Air and Simple Gifts

Today marks the day of which all Americans can be proud. Once again, the United States peacefully shifted power from one party to another, from one man to another, and for the first time from a white man to a black man. As with each new president, there is new hope; there are new ideas. And there's an unshakable faith in a country founded upon the ideals of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

No, I will not be showing the botched Oath, a sign that we all - Democrats and Republicans alike - make mistakes. Nor will I show you the inaugural address, which was spoken succinctly and clearly to the issues at hand. Instead, I present to you a masterful composition and display of musical talent.

Though I know little about music, I understood the song in my heart. I listened to John Williams' piece work its way from the solemn undertones of the cello complementing the angst of the violin to the hopefulness of the Shaker hymn 'Simple Gifts' more commonly known to many as the source piece for Aaron Copland's 'Appalachian Spring'. I felt the reinvigorating hope after the lull of these twenty aughts. And what better way to show the true America than with a Jewish man, an Asian man, an Hispanic woman, and an African-American man?

I would suggest you take a moment, turn the speakers up or put your headphones on, and listen. And you will know why America continues to be great...

No comments: