Saturday, January 3, 2009

How I Met My Goddaughter

It can be argued that my introduction to my Goddaughter came months before her birth. Watching as my aunt's stomach grew. Feeling the faint kicks of the soon-to-be karate black belt. Though I can't remember exactly when my Uncle Mark and Aunt Ruth announced that they were pregnant, it had to be towards the end of my high school career. Some time during the latter spring or early summer of 1995.

Before she had a name, she was known in our family as 'Waldo'. A name my uncle - a bit of a joker - assigned her. Especially for the signing of my birthday and Christmas cards that year. 'Love Uncle Mark, Aunt Ruth, Spooky, and "Waldo"' it read. (Spooky was the cat.)

Around Christmas Aunt Ruth knew the time was coming sooner rather than later. Or at least she hoped so. What was the due date? I have no idea. Perhaps Uncle Mark can leave that info in the comment. But it was certainly in the midst of early winter.

The day came. January 4, 1996. I got the call and headed to the hospital. I don't remember much about the day. Except the snow on the ground.

I entered the hospital room. And I don't even remember who was there. My aunt, of course. My uncle, proud as a peacock. But, I was most interested in making the acquaintance of a beautiful little girl by the name of Julia. Her great-grandmother's name. And, of course, a beautiful Beatles song written by none other than John Lennon. My uncle's favorite.

She now sits on the cusp of turning into a teenager. She, the accomplished black belt. She, the 'A' student. She, who loves her crafts. She, who loves to help people. She, with the quick wit. And she, with the golden heart.

Julia, I am proud of you. And I love you. I thank God - and your parents - every day for the gift of allowing me to be your Godfaddah...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Her original due date was December 28th (I believe). She is a Snow Baby, she (Julia) came in the middle of a blizzard and still LOVES snow. Today she is 13 years old (going on 40). I too am very proud of my little girl (who is growing into a lovely young lady).
Thanks for remembering your Goddaughter on her special day.

Anonymous said...

Hey it's Julia... Thanks So Much for remembering my day. Thanks for being an Awesome Godfather.

Love Julia

Anonymous said...

This message is a wonderful testimony to a lovely young lady frequently compared to her Godfather, David. She portays many of his interests and strengths. It made me cry as I recall both the birth of my niece as well as the birth of both of my sons as I have watched them grow and develop. I, too am very proud as an aunt and a mother. Thanks for your wonderful words, David!
Love, MOM

Anonymous said...

Julia,

We wish you a belated but a very Happy Birthday this year and for many to come. Congratulations on all your successes. You are truly a gift from God.