Thursday, January 1, 2009

A New Years Wish

Disclaimer: This story is a work of fiction. No characters are based on real people, whether living or dead. Any resemblance to a real person is pure coincidence.

I first made their acquaintance at a Halloween party a few years back. Both dressed as pirates. Dominic's costume was amazing. It seemed he had hijacked a 16th century pirate ship and raided the wardrobe. Not to mention the oddly stuffed parrot that he had somehow fastened to his vest. I didn't ask. As for Mel, his costume consisted of a red striped shirt, a plastic knife, and an orange eye patch. I asked if they had planned to dress together like pirates. Mel excitedly admitted that they had. And that is was Dominic's idea. All the while, Dominic shook his head behind the shorter Mel.

An odd introduction.

As I came to know them, I discovered that Dominic exudes a charm and sincerity that attracts others. Tall and muscular, he has a wide, infectious smile replete with glimmering teeth. And a dimple in his chin for good measure. He wears his chestnut brown hair short and messy. An athlete and musician, Dominic divides his time between strumming on his Fender CDN-90 acoustic guitar and working on shooting from beyond the three-point line.

Mel is a different animal. Shorter than Dominic though not exactly short, Mel has pleasant features punctuated with large brown eyes like those of a saddened puppy. I am told he runs every day at the crack of dawn, a holdover from his college days. But apart from running, he isn't particularly interested in anything else. Unless Dominic is. For instance, Mel decided to start playing the piano when he met Dominic. And he started playing basketball too. Both activities he did poorly. Not necessarily because he didn't have the talent but because he just didn't seem to care. Mel vacillates between excitement and melancholy. And it's obvious he hasn't yet figured out who he wants to be. Instead, he mimics Dominic clinging to him like an odd fragrance that is pleasant enough at first but that begins to outstay its welcome.

Jump to New Years Eve. I am at the bar having a drink with a few friends when Dominic, his entourage, and Mel enter to much pomp and circumstance. As they pass, Dominic says hello while Mel obliviously - and drunkenly - continues on, his mood seemingly leaning more towards melancholy. I think nothing of the interaction until later when Mel approaches me and a few friends. The first time in the three years I had know him that he isn't with Dominic, I note.

We engage in some small talk, which doesn't amount to much. My friends and I exchange glances indicating that none of us know why he's standing there. Mel doesn't notice. After a long pause, we ask where Dominic is. That's when things go downhill. With a passion I'd never seen in him, Mel begins talking about how Dominic is a shallow, stupid, backstabber. He told us that Dominic had already left - while Mel was in the bathroom - and that Dominic is not answering his cell. Again, our small group exchanges glances that indicate a need to get rid of this mess. But how to do it nicely. I say that we should get going to the house party we want to attend. All of my friends agree. There is, in fact, no house party; we'll just go to another bar. We apologize to Mel - this house party was by invitation only we tell him - and start walking out. But not before Mel stops me.

'I just wish I could be like him, that's all.'

I look him in his deep brown eyes and have nothing to give him. All I can muster... 'Happy New Year.'

5 comments:

Tumblewords: said...

Well done! The descriptions are vivid and the characters step right out of the page!

gautami tripathy said...

Well written short story!

Have a great new creative year 2009!

packets of love

Thom Gabrukiewicz said...

This is really a great piece.

Anonymous said...

nice :)

Anonymous said...

Very sad story.