Monday, January 5, 2009

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - A Review

I ain't no high-falutin' movie critic. I can't tell ya who deserves an Oscar, though I could probably tag the Razzie recipients. I just go see movies. Not often, mind you. It's too expensive. Eight bucks for this most recent movie I went to see. And that was a matinee price. As for the food, don't get me started. It's a bigger rip-off than the ballpark. But people still pay. That's why the only thing I go to see any more are those big action packed flicks with light sabers and crashing helicopters and exploding worlds and the Joker.

But I'm not here to rail against the movies. They do what they do. And I do what I do. And we're all copasetic in the end. Just don't buy the food...

Right, Ben Button. Why did I see this movie? Because there was nothing else playing and it was a movie day for us. The first we'd seen in some time. Since The Dark Knight for me. I think Joseph had seen Hancock.

So, we play eenie meenie miney mo between Ben Button and Marley & Me. Why Marley & Me? The dog. Schmaltzy. Lovey dovey. Not my thing. But the dog swayed me to consider it. Well, Ben caught the tiger by the toe.

Previews. Nothing terribly exciting. Nothing memorable even. Which reminds me. Star Trek's coming this year. So's The Half Blood Prince. No, they have nothing to do with Benjamin Button. Yes, I'm getting to it. Oh, hold your horses...

First impression of this curious case? Forrest Gump 14 years later. Except without the racist first name. And the chocolates. And Sally Field. But there's a boat. And a woman who plays the interweaving love interest. STOP!

This is no ordinary woman, mind you. She was the first actress to win an Oscar playing an actress who had won an Oscar. Extra credit for her character's name and the movie in which she played her. Oh, but there's more. She played an over the top weirdo Russian doctor in some little-known movie associated with a skull. She defeated the Spanish Armada single-handedly from her elvish stronghold in Lothlorien. And she played Rosie in Parklands. No, I've never seen that movie before. Yes, I did look it up. Now will you let me get back to the review, please...

Right oh, a stellar leading lady already. Splendid. Match her up with the likes of Brad Pitt, and yes, I agree, there was quite a bit of chemistry. Always helpful. Academy award material? Well, if I had seen all the other movies this year, I'd be able to comment. Nonetheless, I think Brad did rather well.

But then... then... then - I can tell you're riddled with anticipation - there's the story itself. Again, similar to Forrest Gump but by no means a copy. This story challenges the illustrious and ever-forward-moving concept of time. Whether you grow from old to young or young to old, time continues to pass. A surprise to any of you? Well, I would certainly hope not. Except for that immortal in the corner. Oh, don't lose your head. Get out before I come over there with this sword.

But that time passes was not the point. That we should do with that time what we should, is. If you want to stay in your cubicle or in acting or in the shoe store, then stay there. And if you want to change your luck someday and do what you know you should do, then do that too. Nor wife nor husband nor child nor pet nor house nor job nor unknown fear should keep you from accomplishing what you need to accomplish in the time you have.

Would I recommend it? Yes, but not for $8.00 unless you're eager for cinematicity. Wait for the DVDs to flood the nearest Blockbuster and Best Buy and Office Max and random weird corner store. And then rent it on Netflix because it's really not a movie you must own to see over and over. Unless you love Brad Pitt. Or Rosie in Parklands. Or movies directed by David Fincher.

Overall, I give it a B. Kept my interest. Played with time. Taught me a lesson. And sent me on my way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"But that time passes was not the point. That we should do with that time what we should, is."


That's also the point of Forrest Gump.