Monday, September 29, 2008

I'm Sailing! I'm Sailing!


I don't think we're going out this weekend, Mark told Joseph, the weather's gonna be crappy. And so, Joseph and I were disappointed that we wouldn't get to go out sailing with our friends.

Our friends, yes. Mark and Sam. We met Mark first through softball. He's on our team, the third baseman. Well, one of the third basemen - Joseph's the other. Sam, we met later. Again, on the softball field. Sam coached the Rockets; I coached the Buzz. The Rockets beat us twice. But not by much the second time. That's another story.

Mark and Sam had invited us to the Mariners-Yankees game earlier in the year. The one where Brandon Morrow allowed one hit in his first outing against the Yankees. One of the many games that the Yankees lost this year because they couldn't seem to get the bats moving. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and agreed that we should do more 'stuff' together. Mark suggested a trip on his boat. We showed our enthusiasm.

It was a matter of synchronizing our schedules. Not this weekend. Nope, not that one. We're away. Joseph's walking. We decided on September 21st and kept our fingers crossed. It's fall, after all. And as some of you who've read a previous entry know, fall's about the rain in the northwest. Weather becomes hit and miss. 9/21? Miss.

We thought it was our last chance. Then comes the weekend that summer forgot to give. Sunny. mid-70s. Mark looked at the forecast and sent Joseph a message. Hell yeah...

We arrived at the Elliott Bay Marina with chips, dip, and beverage in hand, ready for our jaunt around the bay. We found Mark and Sam readying the boat for departure. A beautiful boat. I couldn't give you the proper dimensions so I won't try, but when I went down the stairs into the boat, I could stand up straight, always a good sign for me. Not that I stayed down there for long. It was too beautiful to stay below board.

We pulled around to a guest spot and awaited our mutual friends Rusty, Grant, and Troy. A full boat. Not overfull, but full enough. Sam at the helm. Mark as first mate. We the passengers. And before long, we were underway.

We traveled, as I said, around and within the bay. A little geography lesson that Sam taught us. Elliott Bay extends from the lighthouse on Alki Point (West Seattle) to the lighthouse at Discovery Park (Magnolia). At the border of the bay begins Puget Sound.

We began the trip heading towards the city. Admiring the architecture. Showing each other where we work. The food came out rather early on. And the beverages - a Cape Codder my drink of choice. The chips and dip went over well. But not as well as the goat cheese, blue cheese, salmon spread, and crackers.

Another treat too. Grant's mother had sent him caviar. He'd never tried it. I'd never tried it. And I know Joseph hadn't. I told my friends - while Joseph was sunning himself on the bow - that he wasn't particularly adventurous. So, when Joseph came to the back, they told him it was a type of jam. He scraped it across the crackers and tasted. As quickly as it entered it exited into the bay. Giving the fishies back their eggs. Not a fan. We laughed.

I tried 'em too. I liked 'em. Figures, I said aloud, that I'd have expensive tastes. Rusty turned to me and told me that I just knew how to appreciate the finer things in life. I chuckled.

We continued to enjoy each others' company. Talking, laughing. We came across a white buoy with sea lions atop it. We whistled, talked to 'em. Someone was calling 'em kitties. A little off, but then again, so were we. We took pictures. At some point, I'll get some of the pics uploaded and show you. For now, you'll have to take my word for it.

After our first loop around the bay, Sam asked me if I wanted to take the helm. I initially declined telling him to ask me again. I don't know why. Perhaps because I was shy. And a little nervous. But I was intrigued.

After a time - and after Sam and Mark had worked to ensure that the sails were secured, Sam gave me the helm. I zigged a bit at first but righted the ship - literally - and piloted the boat under Sam's watchful eye. During that time, I discovered that Sam was a Marine, that he's a Coyotes fan (hockey) and a Diamondbacks fan (baseball). I haven't followed hockey in a while, though I enjoy going to see a Thunderbirds game once in a while. We found that we shared a good amount in common. I had a good time talking to him while the others sat up front.

I yielded the helm after I began to lose concentration - more from drink than from disinterest. And we set back towards the marina.

I was awesome. And I hope to do it again. Hell, I hope to own a boat someday but I'm not holding my breath. We disembarked and went our merry ways. Tired, but with tales to tell.

No comments: