Tuesday, September 2, 2008

NFL Football Picks

The time has come once again, football fans. For those of you who love college, you had your appetites whetted this past weekend. For those of you who follow the pros, well, are you ready for some football?

Each of the 32 teams can boast that they have not yet lost. And only my beloved Giants can still say they are the best team in football. But that all comes to a halt in less than two days when those selfsame Giants take on the Washington Redskins at Giants Stadium.

This time of year means that every teams' fans can hope and wish for this coming year. From all 6 fans in Arizona to the hoards of New England fans in Seattle. (Oh, and to all of the latter, I congratulate you on 18-1 last season.) From those in Detroit who have learned to enjoy the pain to those in Oakland who are, for the most part, insane. From the icy tundra in Green Bay to the sunny 70s in Tampa Bay. All fans are wondering if this might just be the year that they can crown their team Super Bowl Champions.

This time of year also means predictions. A time when homers choose their own team to go all the way claiming that their respective teams have a second coming... well... coming. Brett the Jet. Pacman and the Tank. Chad Javon Ocho Cinco. (Yes, he did legally change his surname to Ocho Cinco. No, I don't know why. Yes, it means 85 in Spanish. Yes, I too hope he gets traded to the Lions or the Rams.) Also a time when the pundits pick their sleepers and partial sleepers and heavy sleepers and stomach sleepers. And finally, it's a time when my uncle and I choose our teams. The six from each conference to go to the playoffs, the Super Bowl matchup, and the Super Bowl winner. So, without futher adieu (and begging my uncle's permission) I shall post his and my picks. Comment at your own peril...

Uncle Mark (the man who has rooted for the New York Football Giants since before he was born):
Well here are my predictions for this year:
AFC East: New England (big surprise there, ah?)
AFC North: Cleveland Browns
AFC South: Jacksonville Jaguars
AFC West: San Diego Chargers
AFC Wildcards: Pittsburgh Steelers and Indianapolis Colts

NFC East: Dallas Cowboys
NFC North: Green Bay Packers
NFC South: Tampa Bay Buccaneers
NFC West: Seattle Seahawks
NFC Wildcards: Minnesota Vikings and Philadephia Eagles

Super Bowl XLIII San Diego Chargers vs. Dallas Cowboys (and hopefully the Chargers win).

Regarding the Giants: Yep, I am not predicting the Giants to make the playoffs. I believe that a lot of the chemistry that they had the end of last year is gone. Gone too are leaders like Strahan. They are too raw in the secondary and I think they still have a "hangover" from winning it all last year. But again, that's just my humble opinion (which is subject to change during the course of the season). ;-) They'll probably go 7-9 or 8-8 this year. Then again that's what I predicted last year, and look how last year turned out.

TD (Hit his head on his parents' low-ceilinged finished basement in 1991 because he was so excited that Norwood went Wide Right):
I have to agree with my uncle on these...
AFC East: New England
AFC North: Cleveland Browns
AFC South: Jacksonville Jaguars
AFC West: San Diego Chargers
AFC Wildcards: Pittsburgh Steelers and Indianapolis Colts

I will try for a dark horse in the NFC South because I like John Fox and because they have a QB again. And I have a little bit more faith in the Giants because of their O-Line. They'll certainly put up a fight...
NFC East: Dallas Cowboys
NFC North: Minnesota Vikings
NFC South: Carolina Panthers
NFC West: Seattle Seahawks
NFC Wildcards: New York Giants and New Orleans Saints

I think the Chargers are hungry, and unfortunately, I don't see anyone beating Dallas in the NFC this year. But the AFC is stronger, as long as the Bolts don't have to try to keep some perfect record. So, Cowboys V. Chargers. And Bolts all the way...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let the season begin... I've only been waiting since February ;-). I was happy to hear that Commisioner Goddell is looking into extending the season to 17 or 18 games. That would put the Super Bowl to be played towards the end of February. That works for me!!! I like your picks, especially for the AFC ;-). I'm not sure if you get the NFL Network, but tonight they are going to air America's Game (a look at the 2007 NY Giants). This is the first time it will air, so it ought to be interesting. At least it should be more interesting than say the Republican National Convention ;-).
GO GIANTS!!!!!
Love and Prayers, "Uncle" Mark

Tony Easton said...

I will now have more to do with my Sundays!! Welcome back to Football Season!!!