Wednesday, September 10, 2008

TD's Official NFL Football Picks - Week 2

A friend of mine at work commented to me about a site that claimed to have 'picks' for the NFL's Week 1 games. Unfortunately, he explained, the writer didn't really pick the teams. Instead, he made the picks 'Unofficial' and proceeded to hit with the one-liners. Funny one-liners in some instances, but nothing with which we could hold him accountable.

Well, the picks that I make are TD's Official Picks. Sure, I may throw a one-liner in there. Maybe even two - not sure if I mean a two-liner or two one-liners. In any case, after I'm finished with each blurb, you'll have no doubt who I'm choosing.

Oh, and I'm not going to be picking against the Vegas odds. And I'm not going to try to anticipate the score. First, it's just too much for my addled brain. Second, I'm really not good at it. Not that I can claim to be good at choosing the winners either.

I hope to do this every Wednesday during the football season. And yes, I'll even keep a running tally to show you whether I am a divinator - 'Davinator' - or not.

I know, I know. I missed the first week. It's a wash. I don't have a Delorian with a flux capacitor, so that's that. You'll get a good 15 weeks outta me, as well as playoffs...

So without further adieu...

Tennessee V. Cincinnati
Cincy looked like the Bagels of old this past week. And I can only imagine that Carson is flipping his lid at the antics of Ocho Loco. Yet, it seems the Titans have one-upped the Bagels with their own dysfunction. The cops actually had to help Jeff Fisher find Vince Young. Umm... To be honest, I have no idea who to choose. But based on Chris Johnson's running and the fact that Kerry Collins can be serviceable at times, TD chooses - Tennessee Titans.

Buffalo V. Jacksonville
I like the matchup. Buffalo, I think, has come to play this year for this first time since the mid-90's. They're gonna make this a game. But Jacksonville's pissed. There's really no better word for it. I don't think Del Rio's going to let 'em lose another. TD chooses - Jacksonville Jaguars.

Oakland V. Kansas City
A game that will influence the season how much? If your answer was not at all, you're right. Still, someone must win. The Chiefs were rather pesky last weekend against a diminished, though still good, Patriots team. Meanwhile, Oakland... well... sucked. TD chooses - Kansas City Chiefs.

Indianapolis V. Minnesota
This is one of the most intriguing games of the weekend. Minnesota was supposed to have been a team that will go far into the playoffs - perhaps even to the Super Bowl. Meanwhile, the Colts with Dungee at the lead and Peyton at the helm is supposed to be nearly unstoppable. So, how is it that both teams are 0-1? I'm afraid to say that I don't think Tarvaris is the answer. He wasn't good. If Minnesota wins, it will be Adrian and the D. As for Indy, their O-Line is gone. Yes, I know Peyton lost a lot of weight; yes, I know he's rusty. But honestly, when you're missing Jeff Saturday as well as a number of other starters on the front line, well, it's gonna be tough times for Peyton. So, who wins this week? I'm gonna say that Tarvaris doesn't improve but that AP runs all over Indy. TD chooses - Minnesota Vikings.

Chicago V. Carolina
Another intriguing matchup. This is the story of two teams who were expected to be 0-1. And they each shocked an AFC 'powerhouse'. In my playoff picks, I said that you should be watching out for Carolina. They have this weird tendency to have bad seasons followed by good. '02: 7-9, '03: 11-5, '04: 7-9, '05: 11-5, '06: 8-8, '07: 7-9. What happened in '07 to the Panthers? Jake Delhomme went down and the Panthers went with Steve DeBerg, Vinny Testaverde, Ryan Leaf, David Carr, and Neil O'Donnell. I think John Fox will have them back close to that 11-5 mark this year. But what of da Bears? Forte looked good. How's that feel Cedric? And Orton looked like he knew what he was doing. An intriguing matchup. TD chooses - Carolina Panthers.

Green Bay V. Detroit
Aaron Rodgers proved that he could play. And he has a good cast to help him along the way. Detroit? Random Fact: Last playoff win 1/5/92 against Dallas. Last one before that? 12/28/57. TD chooses - Green Bay Packers.

N.Y. Giants V. St. Louis
It's not a homer pick this week. St. Louis is, in fact, that bad. For anyone interested in Fantasy, stay away from everyone on their team. I had Holt last weekend, I know. TD chooses - New York Football Giants.

New Orleans V. Washington
I think Washington laid an egg against the Giants, but I just have a hard time believe they're that bad. Maybe they are, but I'm gonna give 'em some time. Oh, wait, it doesn't mean I'm gonna pick 'em. Did you see N'Orleans last week? I think they're the team everyone thought they'd be last year. As long as they don't have any major injuries - oh wait, Colston - they should be okay. TD chooses - New Orleans Saints.

Atlanta V. Tampa Bay
Ryan showed me something last week. As did Turner. The Falcons aren't going to be nearly as bad as everyone supposed. And with Garcia out this week, this turns into an interesting game. And a divisional game at that. I'll go out on a limb. TD chooses - Atlanta Falcons.

San Francisco V. Seattle
I live in Seattle. I promise my Seattlite friends that I'll root for the home team if they're not playing mine. I'll keep to that promise. But sheesh. Two healthy receivers. Count 'em. Not a running game in sight. I'm concerned for this team. If they - and the rest of the NFC West - keep up this pace, I'll formally suggest to Goodell that the NFC West should yield their division championship to another more deserving NFC Team. Anyway, I'm not too high on the rebuilding 49ers either. I guess... TD Chooses - Seattle Seahawks.

San Diego V. Denver
Like Jacksonville, San Diego's not happy. That last minute pass to Dante is not how they envisioned the start of their season. Denver? They beat the Raiders. Yeah, and I can beat a 4-year old in the 100-yard dash (if only barely). I like Royal. And Cutler is rather accurate. But there are too many questions in the Bronco D. TD chooses - San Diego Chargers.

Miami V. Arizona
Yipes. Umm. Chad Pennington V. Kurt Warner. No, no story line there. Ricky Williams V. Edgerrin James. I'm pulling at straws people. Oh, I got it. A team that is actually rebuilding versus a team that's perennially rebuilding. TD chooses - Miami Dolphins.

Baltimore V. Houston
I thought this was the year that Houston would surprise us. I almost thought about calling them my dark horse for the playoffs. But, eh. They weren't the Sam Houston Texans, they were the George Bush Texans. Baltimore, on the other hand, has at the helm a fellow ass-kickin chicken alum. TD chooses - Baltimore Ravens.

Pittsburgh V. Cleveland
Oh, Cleveland, I really wish it were true. I wish you were coming into your own. That you'd stand up to the bully Steelers in primetime and shove every last resenting guffaw down their gullets. And I even think you have it in you. But I think you'll get stage fright. It'll perpare you for the future spotlight this year, but Big Ben and Wee Willie Parker are gonna light you up, I'm afraid. TD chooses - Pittsburgh Steelers.

Philadelphia V. Dallas
During days when I was less kind, I would have rooted for injuries. Today, I only root for... the Giants. This one's gonna live up to the hype. They're not bitter rivals like the Skins and Boys, but there is the T.idiOt. story. And there's a rejuvenated Donovan. Okay, fine, it was against St. Louis. I know. But he didn't even have his best receivers on the field. This is Dallas, you'll say. They just dismantled the Browns pretty convincingly. Yes, I know that too. But Donovan's a gamer, and he's healthy. So's Romo. Okay, all these voices. Fine, though I hate to say it... TD chooses - Dallas Cowboys.

PICK OF THE WEEK
New York Jets V. New England:
What juicy stories in this one. The antithesis of the Miami / Arizona game. Belichick V. Mangini. The loss of Brady. Brett the Jet. A divisional game in a now wide open division. Can Cassel win? Will Randy play? So much. So much. But I won't linger on the story lines; you'll read about them all week. Instead, TD chooses: New York Football Jets.

No comments: