Wednesday, September 17, 2008

TD's Official NFL Picks - Week 3

Not good. Not good at all. No, I'm not talking about the bailout of AIG by the Fed, I'm talking about my picks for last week. Just terrible. I said two teams - teams that all the pundits said would make it deep into the playoffs - would be angry enough to pull out their first win. Well, Jacksonville and San Diego didn't pull it out. Okay, okay, Jacksonville more than San Diego. Ed Hochuli, yes, but I'm impressed that he's taking it on the chin and telling everyone the buck stops with him. And San Diego did lose to the Panthers on the last play of the game too. Still, 0-2. Maybe the Chargers have an excuse, but the Jaguars? Yes, injuries. Patriots anyone? Colts too? I don't buy injuries.

And then there's the NFC East. I have officially decided the the NFC West must yield its championship playoff spot to the second place winner of the NFC East since it looks like they're on the way to having both wild card berths this year.

Yes, there are other teams in the league too. And they're coming your way... NOW!

Kansas City V. Atlanta
Did anyone else think Kansas City was that bad? I mean, they couldn't run against the worst run defense in the league from 2007. Pitiful. I don't think I can pick them again until... maybe when they play the Raiders since by that time the Raiders should have a new coach. But more of that below. Oh yeah, Atlanta. Um, Matt Ryan, eh. Michael Turner, good. Lawyer Milloy, drunk and driving. Still, the entire Atlanta team could be drunk... and driving this week. And still win. TD chooses - Atlanta Falcons.

Oakland V. Buffalo
So, Al Davis said about Lane Kiffin, and I quote, 'He's not the guy I hired.' Okay? What this indicates is not that Lane Kiffin was somehow murdered by Mystique and replaced, but rather that Al Davis's delusions have finally bested him. Still, they won last week. How? See the first question of the matchup above. They won't be doing that again unless Buffalo collectively gets a big head and looks past this game. Which I don't think Dick Jauron will allow. Did I mention that Buffalo defeated Jacksonville last week? Well, we'll be finding out if Buffalo's for real in the coming weeks. As for this game, TD chooses - Buffalo Bills.

Tampa Bay V. Chicago
Former rivals within the NFC Central, these teams pose an interesting matchup. The Bears aren't quite there yet. Impressive against Indy, but lost a little flair against Carolina. Orton, improving. Forte, playing like he's been there. But then there's Tampa. I can't quite place Tampa. Coached well, I'd agree. But just missing something. Well, something more than a QB this weekend. And please don't wax poetic about Brian Griese. It'll be a good game, but TD chooses - Chicago Bears.

Carolina V. Minnesota
Good bye Tarvaris. Hello Gus? Ugh. Adrian and the D have their work cut out for them to stop from being 0-3. Meanwhile, the Panthers continue to surprise some. Let it be know that I'm not too surprised. Fox has 'em primed to play. Delhomme will be sacked a few times, but Frerotte won't be able to open the running game. It's another close one. TD chooses - Carolina Panthers.

Miami V. New England
Parcells is biding his time. He's no idiot. He doesn't expect to win this game, but he'll never put it past a team of his - whether he's coaching or sitting upstairs - to pull an upset. Belichick, meanwhile, has the burden of proof. He has to prove he's the genius. He already beat Brett the Jet - more because Mangini stayed conservative, but still. And he's not going to let his team get beat in this one either. TD chooses - New England Patriots.

Cincinnati V. New York Giants
So, before I boast of the Giants, let me just ask, what the hell is going on with the Bagels? Okay, so I'm taking it just a little personally because I chose Carson Palmer in FFL and he has exactly (-1.49) points for me this season. They have no running game, no D, no receiving core to be seen. They're terrible. I just don't get it. Where'd they all go? Oh, right, jail. As for the Jints, yes, I know, they played St. Louis last week. Still, 2-0 is 2-0. Just ask Minnesota and San Diego. TD chooses - New York Football Giants.

Houston V. Tennessee
Before the season began, I would have given this game to the Texans. Shows how much I know. Houston's still stuck in this rut from which they can't seem to free themselves. They have good receivers, a serviceable QB, and a coach who has learned to love RBs. But still, they're not overcoming the odds. And then there's Tennessee. Kerry Collins has been better than average. They have a real live consistent running back. And their receiving core is growing up fast. Not to mention the likes of Keith Bulluck and the rest of the D. TD therefore chooses - Tennessee Titans.

Arizona V. Washington
Arizona, I just don't believe you yet. I just don't. Kurt Warner will get hurt. Or Anquan Boldin will decide to walk out of the stadium never to play for them again. Or Larry Fitzgerald will be abducted by Saturnians. There's no reason for me to choose against you. Well, there are about 25 years worth of reasons. But not against Washington. Still, TD chooses - Washington Redskins.

New Orleans V. Denver
Many people told me that I shouldn't underestimate Denver at Mile High. I said San Diego had something to prove. Well, it's Denver that proved something to me last week. And Mike Shanahan, to boot. I won't underestimate them again, no matter how many offensive weapons New Orleans is purported to have. TD chooses - Denver Broncos.

Detroit V. San Francisco
The Return of the Martz? Not entirely appropriate since he's not exactly returning. The Revenge of the Martz? Yeah, I'll go with that. He has J.T. O'Sullivan slinging. Isaac Bruce and Bryant Johnson are catching. At least last week. And the Lions? They have a good receiving core and a better than average QB, but they're just terrible everywhere else. That's what happens when you take WRs in the first round every year since Wayne Fontes left. Same old, same old. Overall, the game's the goat of the week. TD chooses - San Francisco 49ers.

St. Louis V. Seahawks
Did I say that game was the goat of the week? Well, then I'll clarify. That's the billy goat. And this one's the nannie goat. Someone has to win, and by the looks of it, St. Louis should be playing in Division I-AA. I think Delaware'd beat 'em. At least Seattle could hang in there with UCONN. But, so help me God if the Seahawks let me down, they're going the way of the Chiefs this year. TD chooses - Seattle Seahawks.

Cleveland V. Baltimore
No love lost here. Cleveland's looking for a win. Baltimore's just looking to play. Cleveland has a good shot to win this game. I think they're a good team that's been shoved into the limelight too quickly. They're still building. And the likes of Dallas and Pittsburgh to start their season was too much. But against the Ravens and a young QB, I think they can pull it out. I haven't given up on them yet. Remember they still play the Bagels twice. TD chooses - Cleveland Browns.

Jacksonville V. Indianapolis
I almost made this my game of the week. But with all the injuries on both teams, I've decided to make it the medical emergency of the week. I appreciate the way that Manning willed his team to win next week. It could go down as one of the best wins of his career. But Ugoh's gone now too. And Saturday. And Clark. Are ya kidding me? Then there's Jacksonville. Lost two linemen up front. Jones-Drew a question mark. Oy! It's still an important divisional game. The Colts at 1-1 can take the lead. The Jaguars, by winning, can tie them and force the issue. Who then? Who? Magic 8-Ball? Ask again later. Thanks. Okay, TD chooses - Jacksonville Jaguars.

Pittsburgh V. Philadelphia
The battle of Pennsylvania. Pittsburgh, strong QB, strong RB, good receiving core, good D. Philly, strong QB, strong RB, fair receiving core, better than average D. The D will make the difference in this one, though it will be close. TD chooses - Pittsburgh Steelers.

New York Jets V. San Diego Chargers
This past weekend, Mangini showed us all that he's doesn't quite know what he's got in Brett the Jet. And Brett will not yet bite the hand that fed him, especially so soon after the debacle that was his return. San Diego is on the verge of desperation and can't afford to lose another. They really are a better team than 0-2. The pundits believe it. The critics believe it. The talking heads believe it. Even Steve believes it, though his love for the Jets will never allow him to say so. And, yes, I believe it. TD chooses - San Diego Chargers.

PICK OF THE WEEK
Dallas V. Green Bay
It's the frozen tundra. It's Sunday night. Primetime audience. Perhaps an indication of what we might see come January. Dallas is strong. Very strong. Some say unbeatable. Green Bay's inexperienced. Rodgers won't hold up. The D can't stop the likes of Tony Romo and the mighty T. Eldorado Owens. Yeah. I've heard all that. And logic would tell me to agree. But there's something magical about prime time in Green Bay. For Tony and for the hope that good may conquer evil, TD chooses - Green Bay Packers.

No comments: