Saturday, September 27, 2008

Mere Minutes: Stroller Rolls Backward on Ballard Sidewalk

There we were in our Subaru Forester traveling down NW Market Street towards Golden Gardens Park. The dogs were trading windows at each stop, whining as they maneuvered in the back seat. Buddy barked at passersby; Cleo let loose her wild tongue at everyone and everything that she deemed lickable.

I sat in the passengers seat spying the quaint neighborhood. Restaurants that we should visit. Novelty stores where we might find trinkets aplenty. 'We'll never come here,' said Joseph. 'Great attitude,' I said teasingly.

We wereapproaching the intersection with Leary when I spied a couple standing at a Washington Mutual ATM. My roving eyes then spotted a rolling thing with a child attached to it. For a nanosecond, I thought it might be a child in a wheelchair rolling backwards to make room for pedestrians on the sidewalk. Then, I realized that the child was far too young, and I yelped 'Hey!' at my closed front window. Joseph immediately caught sight of the situation and beeped multiple times in succession.

The mother turned her head, and I witnessed the utter fear and surprise on her face as she leapt to the stroller and grabbed the bar, barely preventing her child from tipping into the street.

We traveled past silently shaking our heads at happenstance.

No comments: