Monday, July 20, 2009

It's Personal: A 35th Birthday

My apologies, dear readers, for having cheated you out of a post of my Sporting Rants and Raves. I was not able to give you my humble opinion about Mr. Watson's rather remarkable charge at age 59. Nor was I able to speak to the Sounders loss to Chelsea. Nothing about the Yanks. Nothing about Mr. Vick. And nothing about Lance Armstrong's attempt to win another tour.

But I can't cheat you out of the answers to last week's Trivia of the Week...

Mr. Ron Fairly holds an interesting distinction in the history of baseball. He was the first person to have played on each of these teams. And, he was the only person named an All Star from both teams, a feat that no one else can achieve - at least for now.

Toronto Blue Jays and Montreal Expos

Now for the recap of last week's birthday celebration.

I suppose the celebration actually began on July 10th. Seven years to the day that I had arrived in Seattle. Also the day Joseph's mother arrived in anticipation of the 35th anniversary of Joseph's birth. We both took the day off. We ate at Ruth Chris. And went home to bed.

The next day, we played our last day of 2009 softball. The Thrusters lost after 3 games. The Buzz made it to the championship game and lost to the Wolves. But if you've read this blog, you already know that story.

Sunday, we did nothing. Joseph's mother made some dinner. And Joseph started coughing. Not a good sign.

Joseph woke on Monday and looked paler than I. Well, not quite. But he didn't look good. I went to work for a half day. Couldn't tell you what I did. Then made my way home to find Joseph sprawled on the couch, hacking up a lung. He medicated. His mother and I lounged.

The next day, we both went to work. I don't think Joseph felt particularly up to it, but it was his actual birthday. And he wasn't going to miss the attention. Not to mention the meal. I left work at 11. A 3.5 hour work day for me. Went home to get his mother. And then traveled back up to Fremont to get Joseph. We went to Ivar's on Lake Union. A nice spot. Great view. Had some blackened salmon on a Caesar salad. And then took Joseph home to rest more. His mother and I headed to Kohl's, Target, and J.C. Penney to do some last minute shopping. Then we returned home, wrapped the gifts, and gave them to Joseph only to see them quickly unwrapped. He liked the stuff.

But I wasn't really planning on getting him much stuff. I had other things up my sleeve.

I suppose this is as good a time as any to tell you of my plan. A plan that would defy Joseph's expectation that I couldn't organize events and a party that he could enjoy. It began before I journeyed to Mexico. Yes, April. That's when Todd, Drew, Matt, Tara, Ashley, Rusty, Andy, Rusty, Fernando, and Grant all received the first email. Little did they know that it would be the first of many. From a project manager... mwahahaha...

I returned from Mexico and sent a detailed email each Friday. Highlighting in blue the changes. Telling them what they could tell Joseph. And what they couldn't.

Another interesting point - and tangent - no one can ever completely surprise Joseph. If I tried to tell him that he wasn't getting anything for his 35th, he'd organize something himself. So, I had to allow for some knowledge. Just not all...

So, back to the story.

We prepared for dinner on the evening of his birthday. He didn't know where he was going. Or even who to expect since he never received the evite. The three of us traveled to the Eastlake Bar & Grill on Lake Union. I hoped for outside seating, but it was too nice a day for us to seat such a large party.

Cookie - as he's know by many of his friends - entered the restaurant to find that all of his friends - all 15 of them that came to dinner - were wearing the same t-shirt. A t-shirt that Rusty and Andy had had created. On the front of the t-shirt were the words 'For Real?' And what did Cookie say when he saw the sight? 'For Real?' Of course. And that's why it was on the shirt.

We enjoyed the dinner. Split the check. Went to Purr. Sang karaoke badly. And journeyed home. A third of the birthday finished.

Wednesday? Uneventful. Worked a half day. Did nothing afterwards.

Thursday? Felt the tingling in my throat at approximately 10 a.m. Walked up to the parlor where Todd, Joseph, and his mother were getting tattoos. By that time, I was downing a cough drop every 10 minutes. And when I got home, I was done.

Friday I spent in bed. Dead to the world. Called into work sick. First time in a long, long time. But I had to be ready for Saturday.

By Saturday morning, I felt better. Well, at least good enough to spring the one surprise I had for Joseph.

Oh, he tried to get it out of me. He pried and pushed and pulled. To no avail. I just told him that we had to leave at 10 a.m. And we did. Then I parked in the garage where I park every day for work. He had no clue. We got a coffee. Walked towards the Space Needle. He thought it was a trip up the Space Needle. Until we walked by. Then he thought we were going to the Experience Music Project Museum. But we kept walking. Then he saw the Duck Tour place. And he guessed. And I said yes.

His mother had already been on a Duck, so this wasn't any really big deal. Just a fun little touristy thing, he thought. And it was. Until he saw some of his friends. Then more of his friends. Followed by more. And yet more. Thirty friends in all. For a ride on a specially reserved Duck. He just about flipped out with happiness. We had a picture taken, boarded the Duck, met our Captain - Matt Agascar (yeah I know) - and ventured through Seattle. Quite enjoyable with a very eccentric group. Joseph even drove the boat in the water. A great time...

Todd took Joseph and his mother up to the hill for a drink while I and many of Joseph's friends hurried back to the house to decorate and prepare for the BBQ. When 4 p.m. rolled around, Joseph reappeared to a house and patio filling with guests.

Still, I had this feeling that there had to be at least one disaster. I just couldn't relax otherwise. And it came at about 4:30. A friend started cooking a few hot dogs and hamburgers. Then, the grill spontaneously combusted. Flames leapt from every direction. Far too close to the dry tree above. And even closer to the propane tank below. I stood there feet from the grill thinking that this thing was going to take out our living room and the people who hadn't scattered, including me. Tara looked at me and asked if we had a fire extinguisher. No, was all I could say. But then Drew saved the day by throwing large chunks of ice onto the grill. The very cold water trickled down and stifled the flame.

We were out of ice, at that point. So I went to Fred Meyer, picked up some ice. And a fire extinguisher. As for the rest of the party, it went splendidly.

We slept on Sunday before attending the end of season softball party at 88 Keys. A good ending to a good season. And a good week.

Joseph brought his mother to the airport this morning. And I went to work. My first full day in over a week. I wonder how I'll fare having to work a full week this week.

But at least I know that Joseph had an enjoyable 35th. And that I won't have to put on a shindig like this for another 5 years...

No comments: