Monday, July 6, 2009

It's Personal: Words Part 2

Okay, so I'm cheating a little. The last time I submitted a 'Words' post was March 23rd and it was 'Art in All Its Forms' a topic about which I decided to cease writing. But I still love words. And though the topic itself this evening isn't anything particularly personal, i.e. about me, it is one of my favorite things.

And so, without further jabber, I introduce to you an interesting phenomenon. There are 1 syllable words in the English language that become 3 syllable words with the addition of 1 letter somewhere within the word. If that isn't clear, I'll give you an example:

Are + a = Area

The one listed above is rather easy because the letter is added to the end. But it is possible for the letter to be added to the beginning or middle of the word as well. Can you guess the others?

Hints: I'll give you the hint for the 1 syllable word. You guess the word and then the word it would become were a letter to be added.

  • Past tense of the verb meaning 'to approach or move toward a particular person or place'
  • A noun meaning 'a wide opening; gap; breach'
  • A noun meaning 'the legal claim of one person upon the property of another person to secure the payment of a debt or the satisfaction of an obligation'
  • A verb meaning 'to assume a facial expression indicating pleasure, favor, or amusement, but sometimes derision or scorn, characterized by an upturning of the corners of the mouth'
Good luck... and Good Night, Gracie.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Smile = Simile
Lien = Alien