Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Florida Day Three

Here I sit watching the talking heads talk. Wolf Blitzer. Anderon Cooper. William Bennett. James Carville. Obama now has more than 200 electoral votes. Democrats have drubbed the Republicans again in both houses. And I'm tired. Because today was all about work.

Woke up at 6:15 ET. That's 3:15 PT for all you who are just getting to work. Worked out. Made it down to the lobby at 7:45. Checked the restaurant. No one there. Waited in the lobby. My party eventually made it down. Three high level officers from my company. Two from Lone Star. We ate breakfast. An interesting conversation at which to be a fly on the wall. And yet there I was. Didn't understand about a quarter of it. And then just listened to the rest.

Left at 8:45 and arrived at the office at 9. Accredited Home Lenders, the name of the company. Originally, an originator of sub-prime mortgage loans. Suffice it to say, they aren't originating anymore. We walked through the front two doors and proceeded to our left, passing cubicles of people. We veered right into the conference room. Nice chairs. Overall, a nice office.

The very knowledgeable site manager walked us through the office. At first, we saw a group of men and women working busily. We passed the front doors and saw a slew of open cubicles. No, it wasn't a slew, it was a ridiculous empty space. In all, this office, which can seat 250 people, houses only about 50. That leaves 80% of the office left empty. Demoralizing.

We made our way back to the office and proceeded to have meeting after meeting. Some with people on the phone. Other with people in the office. How to integrate our initiative into this empty office. How to make it profitable. Money, money, money, money...

I spent the day writing. It is said that scribes were historically not as important as their leaders. Well, I spent the day as 'not as important'. No problem. Unlike in history, scribes can now work themselves into positions where they are the leaders.

But that's what I did. I wrote.

The day ended. I cannot yet say whether it was a success. That will depend entirely on the outcome. Today was just the beginning.

We departed in good spirits and proceeded to have a good dinner at a restaurant called Fish Bones. I had a Bison Ribeye Steak. Tasty, though too much fat.

And up here into the hotel. My last night. I have packed. I can't say I'm particularly looking forward to returning to work. I am, however, looking forward to seeing Joseph, the pups, and the kitties. It's time to go home...

But, for now, I will watch as history is made and Obama - seemingly - will take the presidency.

No comments: