Monday, November 3, 2008

Florida Day Two

I sit in a chair in my hotel room wondering how to write this entry. I could choose to be less than honest and tell you that today went swimmingly. Instead, I'll compose some of what these two eyes witnessed.

I awoke with a headache at 7 a.m. Just 5 hours after I had finally fallen asleep. I marched to the curtains and pulled them shut, putting an end to the light that shone through. I slept a bit longer and arose at 9. A crick in the neck from the puffy pillows. Nevertheless it was time.

I received a call at approximately 9:15. My mother. They would arrive at about 11:30. Enough time for me to work out a bit and have some breakfast.

When 11:30 rolled around, I descended through the bowels of the hotel and walked into the lobby. There sat Dave and Mom. Dave had the look of Uncle Dennis, at first glance, with a row of pristine teeth. Mom looked altogether too pale and out of sorts. An odd look for a woman who had - as recently as two years prior when I saw her last - been a more energized woman.

We walked over to an Asian restaurant and ate lunch together. Dave asked me a bunch of questions. Getting to know me. Mom, meanwhile, sat in virtual silence seemingly staring into the ether. Dave sipped his gina and tonic. I swallowed my iced tea - unsweetened - in gulps.

I watched mom. Wondering what to say or how to say it. Feeling an odd sensation in my gut. How could this happen in a matter of two years?

After the meal, they decided to treat me to a day at one of the Disney parks. I chose Hollywood - formerly known as MGM. Rides are better, Dave said.

We drove down I-4. Dave made the comment that I and my mother didn't have much to say to each other. And, I suppose we didn't. But our conversation has never been a forced sort of thing. It just happens when it happens.

I asked her if she was baking cakes or playing the guitar. No to both. Just very tired. All the time.

We arrived at the park and we started through. Mom couldn't keep up. As she said, she was walking half speed. Pale as ever. Unsteady.

Doesn't the doctor have any clue, I asked her multiple times? No, not really, came her response. What is it then? What could this be?

I continued to watch and wonder. Having little to say. Wondering if there was something I could do. As she was dragged around the park from ride to ride.

The rides? Good as far as they went. The House of Horror, belly bottomed out. The Star Wars ride. Silly. The Aerosmith Roller Coaster. Closed my eyes through most of it. Almost lost my lunch within the first 20 seconds. The newest ride - some Toy Story themed activity - broke down as we were approaching - after an hour. Wouldn't be Disney without something breaking.

We left the park, and I felt awkward. Strange. Not right. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing my mother for the first time in a couple years. But, at the same time, I just wonder where my mother has gone. And if she can come back.

We drove home listening to All Things Considered on NPR. About how a third of the cruise ships can't actually dock in the new terminal set up for them in Shanghai. About the Tao te Ching. About the election over and over and over and over. I am in Florida after all.

When finally we arrived back at the hotel, I gave Dave a firm handshake and my mother a hug. I didn't turn back as I walked through the sliding doors.

I readied for dinner with some of my company's top level executives. Ironically, went to the same restaurant my mother, Dave and I had visited earlier. I listened as they spoke about the business. Names flew like rabid vultures. I sat and listened.

Now I'm back in the room. Watching Monday Night Football this late for the first time in a long time. Typing this blog entry on the eve of the election.

Time for bed.

Say a prayer for my mother. And for this country.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have just read the blogs regarding your trip to Florida, in particular, day 2. I'm sorry you had to be feel uncomfortable. Not the intention. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing you and wish circumstances had been different but they weren't. We will get together and enjoy each other's company at another time under better circumstances of our choosing! Thanks for your prayers.