Monday, August 3, 2009

It's Personal: Harry Potter

I took a Facebook quiz the other day to discover which Harry Potter character it says I am. It said Luna Lovegood. And I was almost in agreement.

Harry Potter did not immediately capture me. I was, after all, a cynical college man who had expelled as much multi-media from my life as possible at the time of its publishing. Well, with the exception of the internet, which in 1997 was still in a somewhat nascent - perhaps pubescent - form. I saw the bulky children's book in countless Borders and Barnes & Noble stores, and I scoffed and scowled at the parents and children. This persisted for the duration of my college career.

When I entered the seminary in 2000, I broke down and bought the first four books. And I began to read. I couldn't help but enjoy the wonderful blend of fantasy and childhood. The movies soon followed and offered to the reading and non-reading public alike a good interpretation of the books.

I was saddened to hear about Richard Harris. I don't think Michael Gambon is nearly the actor. But who can be?

And I continued to anticipate the books. No, I didn't purchase them as soon as they were released. I waited until I couldn't wait any longer. And then swallowed each book whole.

The movies came now and again. Becoming darker. But still doing justice.

The seventh book was finally released on the old man's 54th birthday, not that there's any connection there. He has no interest in the Harry Potter series. I waited two days, but couldn't resist. I wasn't going to let anyone ruin that one for me. So, I read for approximately a week and was able to tell if Harry died or not. An awesome ending. A great series.

But I still had to wait for the movies. The fifth one did well enough. Then came the sixth one which I finally saw this past weekend. What say ye, I hear you asking. And I say eh. Okay, so I who was once the anti-Harry snob have become the they-didn't-do-justice-to-the-book snob. For those of you who haven't read the book, you'll be fine. And from my objective non-reading point of view, it was good. Not as good as the fourth. Or the fifth. Probably better than the first three. But they were such different movies that I can't even compare them effectively.

I understand why. They couldn't end the movie in the same way as the book. I understand why Rowling gave the movie her blessing. But I wonder if she felt a tad let down. Just a tad. Then again, I have no idea what any author thinks of his / her work on screen. It must be such a bittersweet thrill.

So, here you have my critique. Should I see it, you ask me. And I say yes. Because you must. Especially if you haven't read the books. Because you must understand what is happening for the next two movies - split because they just couldn't do justice to a seventh book in only one movie. I await those two movies, though fear the first might be anticlimactic like the sixth.

I feel myself falling into stream of consciousness. Luna Lovegood style.

No comments: