Saturday, August 29, 2009

Sporting Rants and Raves: August 29, 2009

Happy 47th birthday to Mr. Carl Banks formerly of the New York Football Giants. Well, the Redskins and Browns too, but they're not as important. Banks helped the G-Men to wins in Super Bowls XXI and XXV as left outside linebacker. He now works as a broadcaster for those same Giants on WFAN.

Trivia of the Week
Name the other 3 Giants linebackers in Super Bowls XXI and XXV respectively.

Answer to August 15th's Trivia of the Week
How many matches did Kerry Walsh and Misty May lose in Athens? in Beijing?
They lost matches in neither Athens nor Beijing.

Minnesota Vikings sign Brett Favre
Rather than concentrate on the egomaniacal man now dressed in purple, I'd like to consider the signal the Vikings front office has sent to all of the team members. 'Preseason doesn't matter.' That's the first lesson. You don't need to practice with the team much prior to the season. Go ahead and do that in Mississippi or Maine or Missouri or wherever. 'We don't believe in our other quarterbacks.' Sage, Tarvaris, sorry. You're just not good enough. Unless, of course, Favre gets hurt. In that case, you're the main guys. 'Who needs to build? We'll buy the Super Bowl.' As a fan of the New York Yankees, let me tell you that buying a championship doesn't work. Yes, I know some of you non-Yankees fans will say that that's exactly what the Yanks did in the late 90's. But, really, they didn't. They had a team with chemistry, a team with people who played with each other day in and day out for a while. Will the Vikes have that chemistry? I'll bet they don't. I'll bet Favre wrecks the clubhouse in his own way. Minnesota, you've now done football wrong twice over. First when you moved into a dome. And now that you've decided to roll the dice on the underwhelming Favre.

Yanks' Mitre shakes off rust, shuts down White Sox
Sergio Mitre with Chad Gaudin one-hit the White Sox earlier today to put the Yanks at 81-48. Undeniably the best team in baseball. A Red Sox fan and friend recently asked me if the Yanks have peaked too early. Maybe, I said, but they're playing better than anytime in recent memory. That is, within the past 7-10 years. I have faith. Now I just need the Rangers and Rays to knock the Sox out of the Wild Card spot.

With no helmets, St. Paul’s cancels season opener
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9. Spoken by St. Paul himself, I wonder if he's trying to make a point with his football team in West Virginia. Funny...

Ryan Moore, the golfer who left $300,000 on the table
I watched, recently, as Mr. Ryan Moore took the Wyndham Championship. I listened to my uncle talk about Moore's hat, a hat for which he didn't particularly care. I too thought it an odd hat for a pro golfer. As well as the odd attire. And now, I understand that Moore chooses specifically not to wear logo'd clothing. A rather remarkable principle, especially when it means sacrificing $300K.

Belichick: Brady not removed for injury
Who else is tired of Belichick's seemingly constant deception? So, Brady getting flattened by Haynesworth was exactly the time Bill intended to take Brady out? I want that crystal ball. But we have to remember that this is the same guy who had Brady on the injury list with an injured shoulder from 2006 through last year's first game of the season...

Well, now I must go and study before a night on the town this evening. And so, until next I write, happy sporting...

No comments: