Saturday, August 8, 2009

Sporting Rants and Raves: August 8, 2009

Happy 28th Birthday to Mr. Roger Federer. There are more accolades to recommend for this Swiss tennis player than room I have in this post. I shall, however, say this - Mr. Federer is regarded by many to be the greatest male tennis player of all time. All by the ripe old age of 28. Wow!

Most of you know that I am a New York Yankees fan. I don't exactly keep it a secret. And many of you also know that until August 7, 2009 the New York Yankees had not won against the loathed Boston Red Sox. Well, that changed...

Red Sox designate Smoltz for assignment
I have nothing against Smoltz. In fact, I think he has been a great pitcher. More than 200 wins. More than 150 saves. Impressive statistics separately but together they're remarkable. One of the big three from Atlanta. Were the 3 1/3 innings he pitched against the Yanks his last? I don't think so. I even hope not. But boy did I enjoy that shellacking...

A-Rod HR in 15th lifts Yanks
As a fan, I don't particularly like A-Rod. Too much about the money. Too much about himself. At least that's the vibe I get. Then again, I've never met the guy. I know nothing about him. Well, he won that game last night - rather, this morning. His first homerun in 3 weeks sailed over the wall, and the Yanks came away with two straight wins and a four and a half game lead over the Sox. Awesome...

Trivia of the Week
What happened for the first time at Wrigley Field on this date 21 years ago?

Eli's deal with Giants being finalized
Eli will soon take his turn as the NFL's 'winner' of the highest annual salary. Does anyone feel as though this just feels like a huge jinx? Oy!

Hall induction turns into Buffalo bash
Bruce Smith and Ralph Wilson will be inducted today. Derrick Thomas, Rod Woodson, Randall McDaniel, and Bob Hayes too. Quite the class if I do say so. A defensive induction as well. With the exception of Bob Hayes.

And this means the start of football. Yes, I know. It's just the Hall of Fame game. Yes, I also know that it means watching the likes of T.O. and his antics. (At least he's not in the NFC East anymore.) But, it's time. I think I can honestly declare that this is the most wonderful time of the year. Well, maybe in another couple weeks when it's for real.

NBA and NHL take a back seat. Not at all upset about that...

Michael Crabtree Threatens to Sit Out Entire 2009 Season and Not Sign with San Francisco 49ers
Ri-friggin-diculous. Honestly. The whole draft thing is broken. Agents and players wait for people to sign to see how much they should request. And Crabtree doesn't think the 49ers have offered enough based on what has been offered to the 9th person in the draft. Look, Michael - and all the rest of you meatheads - you haven't even played in the NFL yet! Teams have no idea what you're worth. And it's been proven that those who sit out usually fizzle, at least in the first year. Yes, I understand that players can't let the teams take advantage of the situation. But, honestly, this whole negotiation is hogwash...

Fantasy baseball will soon conclude with me most likely in the middle of the pack. I still don't understand how the scoring works. And fantasy football - I've signed on for two separate leagues - is soon to begin. Alas, I won't be able to obsess as much as in years past.

That's the way it is on this day of piano keys. Until next I write, happy sporting...

No comments: