Thursday, August 6, 2009

Thursday 13: Leadership

I usually refrain from writing about work. And, as I think about it, this post isn't really about the work I do, per se. But it takes place at my workplace which I think qualifies.

Last week, the director of People and Training (Human Resources) approached me to find out if there might be anyone interested in attending a leadership training session. He explained that he was the only person who had signed up and that the session would not be as beneficial without a few more people in attendance. I knew that none of the IS managers could attend, so I volunteered myself. It soon slipped off my radar as I busied myself with other items.

The day before, the director of People and Training sent me the biography of the person who would be leading the two-day session. A former nun. Interestingly, this excited me since I had found most nuns I knew to be down-to-earth and fun to be around. And the next day, I discovered that Laurie was no exception. Boisterous and perhaps a bit loud, she engaged the four 'students' with her understanding of and excitement about the material she presented. I thoroughly enjoyed her.

As stated, the topic was leadership. How to, essentially. And the training hit a chord. What I was taught seemed at once both obvious and inspiringly foreign. I began to understand what it was leadership actually entails.

I give to you now material extracted directly from the material presented within the class:

13 Behaviors of High-Trust Leaders
  1. Talk straight
  2. Demonstrate respect
  3. Create transparency
  4. Right wrongs
  5. Show loyalty
  6. Deliver results
  7. Get better
  8. Confront reality
  9. Clarify expectations
  10. Practice accountability
  11. Listen first
  12. Keep commitments
  13. Extend trust

3 comments:

Janet said...

Listen first is a tough one!

storyteller said...

Wonderful advice. Seems like the leadership training was worthwhile. Thanks for sharing ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Drama Queen said...

worthwhile sharing :)

13 lessons of love and humor in life