Monday, August 10, 2009

It's Personal: The Joys of Booking Flights

My brother had set the date. August 23rd would be the day of Madison's baptism. And so, I began my search for flights. Expedia. Priceline. Orbitz. I laughed at Shatner in his punching pose. I bought a ticket from Priceline for a Wednesday 8/19 flight to Connecticut. I would return on Tuesday 8/25. All was well.

I then received an email from someone at Hudson Advisors, the company that manages the companies owned by Lone Star. This person invited me to a strategic planning session in Dallas from 8/17-8/21. But, the email explained, Monday and Tuesday were most important. So, I figured I was fine. I would simply have to change the flight so that I flew to Hartford from Dallas. No big deal.

I received more information about the meeting in Dallas. And after speaking with the CEO of my company, I realized that it would be a better idea for me to attend more of the strategic planning meeting. I told the woman from Hudson Advisors that I would stay through Thursday and then be on my way to Hartford. Finally, figured out.

Last Saturday, I woke up early and got on the phone to Priceline. I need to change my flight, I tell them. The person on the other end explained that I couldn't change the flight. Okay, I said, I want to cancel. You can't do that either, the person said. Huh? That doesn't make any sense. Sorry, that's our policy.

Damn you Shatner!

So, I called United, the airline on which I would be flying to Connecticut. A nine minute wait ensued. Then a foreign voice. I'm looking to change my flight. That'll be $150 up front plus whatever fees you incur for the new flight. Yeah, no thanks I told him.

What now?

I find a flight from Seattle to Dallas. And then from Dallas to Hartford. There's nothing I can do about that other flight from Seattle to Hartford. I just love throwing money at Priceline and the airlines. I'll just head back to Seattle on my original booking.

Lesson learned. Joseph told me of a trick he used when he booked flights as an executive assistant. Find the flight(s) you want on Expedia, Orbitz, or Priceline. Take down flight number(s) and price. Then, call the airline and book it directly with them. Right price and much more flexibility.

I'll remember this one.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

David, most airlines will cancel a return leg ticket if the first leg isn't used. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I learned the hard way. You might want to check with the airline on that.