Saturday, August 15, 2009

Sporting Rants and Raves: August 15, 2009

Happy 31st birthday to Ms. Kerri Walsh who with Ms. Misty May-Treanor compose what has been deemed the greatest beach volleyball team of all time. The team has twice won gold medals in the Olympics. The first came in Athens; the second in Beijing.

Trivia of the Week
How many matches did Walsh and May lose in Athens? in Beijing?

Answers to Last Week's Trivia of the Week
What happened for the first time at Wrigley Field on this date 21 years ago?
The Cubs tried to play the first night game at Wrigley Field. But they weren't successful. The game was rained out in the third inning and therefore had to be made up later in the season. The actual first night game took place on 8/9/1988.

Eagles' Vick back on NFL practice field
It was the 7th inning or so at Thursday night's Yankees-M's game. I took a quick look at my 'crackberry'. No email of import, so I went to the headlines. The first I saw was that Vick had signed... with the Eagles. I told the brothers, and they were surprised as well. The dam broke the next day with every sportscaster from every sport weighing in on the move. 'Vick will fit right in.' 'The Eagles made a big mistake.' et cetera, et cetera. What do I think? Well, I said he deserved his shot. If there weren't so much about egos in this entire thing, it could be entirely possible that Vick and McNabb could make a dangerous duo. Vick playing a Kordell Stewart kind of role (when Kordell actually played that kind of role) with McNabb having time bought for him with Vick's 'antics'. From that point of view, I'm concerned that a Spags-less Giants will have a hard time with the Iggles. But, there's a huge BUT to be overcome. If Vick wants to be the QB, there will be no end to the controversy in Philly, which will make life hell for all involved, especially McNabb. And then the Giants will wipe them off the face of the NFC East. I'm hoping, of course, for the latter...

Teixeira's HR lifts A-Rod-less Yanks
Andy Pettitte. Robinson Cano. Melky Cabrera. Jorge Posada. Mark Teixeira. A mix of old and new pushed the Yanks over the top last evening to take a 2-0 lead in the four-game series against the M's. And, better yet, they are still doing it without A-Roid. Okay, so I share something in common with M's fans.

3WW: The Only Solution
The team to which I was referring is the Chicago Cubs. The Cubbies haven't won a World Series since 1908. And they haven't been to one since 1945. It was during that year that the Cubbies went up 2-0 against Detroit and looked to be well on their way. But in the third game at Wrigley, a farmer brought his goat to the field, bought two tickets and tried to enter. When he was not allowed, he told the ushers that the Cubs wouldn't win again. The haven't. Since that time, the Cubs have brought goats in for publicity purposes, but it still hasn't worked. And it won't work, some say, until the Cubs actually let a goat come into Wrigley out of heartfelt virtue. Hysterical!

Woods up 4 at PGA as 3rd round begins
I commented on the fact that critics were calling the guy 'Terrible Tiger' in one of my more recent posts. I say to the critics: find something else about which to write because you have no clue. Looks like Woods will get another win.

Fantasy Football Watch
Earlier this year, I said I'd be keeping you in the loop about fantasy baseball. Well, I never quite understood the scoring system. And there were only 5 people in the league. Suffice it to say, I haven't looked at my team in some time. My guess is that I'm at dead last. But fantasy football, I understand. The only catch? I am now in 3 leagues. The East Coast league with my friends from college. The Softball league - friends from softball. And the Friends league - you got it, my friends. How will I fare? My guess is I'll be in the fray, but with 3 separate leagues and all the other stuff in my life, I most likely won't win any of them. Still, I enjoy it.

Well, I must go ready myself for 10 days away from home. Shopping. Packing. The whole nine. I will try to keep my normal blog posting schedule, though it may be difficult during my travels. In any case, until next I write, happy sporting...

No comments: