Saturday, August 1, 2009

Sporting Rants and Raves: August 1, 2009

Happy 31st Birthday to Mr. Edgerrin James, a free agent running back in the National Football League. Mr. James played for both the Indianapolis Colts and the Arizona Cardinals. Although he was not with the Colts for their 2006 win in the Super Bowl, the Colts still gave him a ring. And this past year he had the chance to be a part of the big game, even if his team did lose by a very small margin (27-23).

Ravens' Mason ends retirement
What is it to retire? According to dictionary.com, the word means to withdraw from something for the sake of rest or seclusion. Derrick Mason withdrew from the Ravens on July 14, 2009. He then returned on August 1, 2009. What, I wonder, is the shortest retirement of all time? And why can't people make up their minds? Is it a Favre thing about being in the spotlight? Or is it a really a question of desire after such a long, grueling career?

Phelps first under 50 seconds in 100 fly
I guess it doesn't really matter that Milorad Cavic was second under 50 seconds in 100 fly. In fact, they both broke that record. Unfortunately, it's only the first one there that actually breaks the record. Perhaps now Mr. Cavic can go season his foot and stick it - and his swimsuit - in his mouth.

Tiger cards 65, surges into Buick lead
On Friday, I read a headline I never thought I'd see. It was a not-too-kind reference to 'Terrible Tiger' and his horrific showing at the Buick. Critics have consistently wondered if Woods could possibly return to form after the knee surgery. Does a 63, a 65, and the lead help?

ChiSox introduce Cy Young winner Peavy
I haven't been following baseball all too closely this year. I haven't really followed baseball closely since the strike year of 1995, except of course for the playoffs and World Series. So, you can take my thoughts here with a grain of salt. I think it's a HUGE risk. But the upside is better. Imagine a good pitcher in the White Sox's rotation. It could get them deep into the playoffs. If they can catch the Tigers with their own newly acquired pitcher, Jarrod Washburn. (And I gotta tell ya most M's fans aren't weeping over that trade.)

Documents cast doubt on Coyotes sale
Here's a thought. Don't put a hockey team in a city that doesn't get below 50 degrees Fahrenheit as the average temperature on any given day. Yes, that goes for you too Panthers and Lightning.

Hawaii coach McMackin suspended 30 days
I personally think this happened to be a football coach being a football coach. Anyone who's ever played on a football team has heard a coach use any possible technique to rile his players. Whether by hating or laughing at the other team. This was an example of the latter. Should he have said it? No. He should have had better judgment. Do I understand why he said it? Yeah, he was bringing the lockerroom to the podium. Is this a slur against gay people? I'm inclined to think not, which still does not excuse the poor judgment.

Ortiz and Manny aware of positive test in Sept. '04
Once upon a time, I contemplated what might have happened had Roger Clemens not played for the New York Yankees. I gave away a World Series as a result. I wonder what would happen if some purist Red Sox fan were to contemplate Manny and Big Papi being PED free. Sure, their then teammate, Pedro, seems to think that nothing would have been different. But I sincerely wonder. And yet, as I've said before, this doesn't linger with the players. Instead, it points directly to the top of the league. These are the Dark Ages of baseball, ladies and gentleman. A bold and unfortunate combination of ignorance and stupidity.

And with that, I leave you to work out and do a bit of reading. Until next I write, happy sporting...

No comments: