Wednesday, May 27, 2009

3WW (Dreary, Timid, Embrace): American Sentences

American Sentences: They are haiku-length poems that Allen Ginsburg suggested be limited to 17 syllables, like haiku in Japanese and like the Heart Sutra in Buddhism. The following two sentences are such American Sentences of 17 syllables.

The weak knight with timid embrace attempted to soothe the dreary lass.

His dreary and timid style prevented my embrace of the subject.

I embraced her who had raven hair once upon a midnight dreary.

8 comments:

andy said...

Nicely, I think I like the middle one best.

(I think your link on 3ww is the wrong one, I got here in a roundabout way.)

I know you like American sentences, maybe you'd like to play the American Sandwich game? It's just a bit of fun!!

Thom Gabrukiewicz said...

I think I like the middle one best, too. Although the play on Poe is great (and it's where I went).

PJD said...

I personally like the one about the knight and the lass best. It's a romantic comedy waiting to happen.

gautami tripathy said...

Weak Knight, Dreary lass..I like that!

timid embrace forces out dreary thoughts

pia said...

I like the third not because of the play on Poe but simply because it reads so well

lissa said...

I like the last one, very poetic

Kristy Worden said...

I'm voting for the middle one - it reads cleanest to me...

Anonymous said...

I'd vote for all three! bravo! -Meg