Monday, May 25, 2009

It's Personal: A Day in the Life

Memorial Day: The day in the United States when we remember those who have fallen while serving in the military. First established in 1868 to remember the Civil War dead, the holiday was later expanded after World War I to include the military deceased from all wars.

I thank those brave men and women who have given their lives that I may live in these United States.

And - for better or worse - that's about as far as my involvement with Memorial Day has ever gone. Except for once when I partook in a prayer service in St. Bridget's cemetery in Cheshire, CT. No one in my immediate family died while serving. Thankfully, they came back alive.

So what did I do today?

Woke happily late. Ate a fritata - an Italian omelette - made exquisitely by Joseph. And watched A Few Good Men. I must admit the movie's deceptively good. For all his weirdness, Tom Cruise is in fact a good actor. Not to mention I like Kevin Pollack. And who can't love Jack in that part? Played to a tee. 'You can't handle the truth' still gives me chills.

Tangent: While we were in Mexico and Matty was watching the pooches, we had a contractor build out a patio in the backyard. Where once we had a yard of poor drainage - moss was about all that would grow - we now have a path from the driveway to the patio, not to mention a wonderfully full patio.

The altogether useless backyard suddenly became useful and deceptively large. We brought a few rather nasty plastic chairs outside. And the grill. And we had some kielbasa. In the nasty green plastic chairs. We tried to eat while sitting in the chairs. Didn't work out so well. Mustard and relish dripping uncontrollably. Awkward attempts at eating the potato salad.

Joseph exclaimed, 'We need furniture.'

Yep.

Did you know patio furniture was that expensive? Yeah? Well, I didn't. Oy! So, we waited. For what, I'm not certain. I usually hope that some angel will direct me to a sale that includes a 7-piece patio set for $50. Not used or crappy either.

I know it will never happen. But I can always hope.

Joseph became somewhat impatient with my delusion and suggested again that we purchase the patio furniture. I yielded if only for logic's sake.

We packed the dogs into the car and ventured to Tukwila.

We went first to Lowe's. I've historically been rather disappointed with Lowe's. Always seems a little disorganized and messy. Maybe it's just that Tukwila store. We entered and looked at some furniture. After about 5 minutes, there came an announcement over the store speaker. Calling our license plate. Telling us to go to customer service. Since it was a beautifully sunny day, I knew it couldn't be the lights. I therefore figured it must be the dogs. We hurried outside utterly concerned. There those two dopes were. Cleo in the driver's seat. Buddy in the passenger's seat. They weren't allowed in those seats, of course, but there they sat. And they were fine.

We went to customer service. A manager came over. 'An associate told us that she had passed the car and had seen heavily panting dogs.' We were relieved. 'They're fine,' we replied. The guy looked at us somewhat accusingly and said, 'Okay' and shrugged his shoulders.

That's Seattle for ya. Concern for animals and passive aggression in one fell swoop.

We departed for Home Depot. A nice 7-piece set for $500. Not bad. And the ability to have no interest, no payments for 12 months. That's the way to go.

We had a minor dilemma. How do we get the set home? I mean, the Forester, is awesome. Roomier than you'd think. But this was a little much.

We had planned either to have it delivered (too expensive) or rent a Home Depot truck (there were none left). Ugh.

But the Home Depotians had an idea. We unpacked the dogs, using twine as leashes. (We hadn't planned on taking them out of the car during what we thought would be a short trip. Lesson learned there.) And we proceeded to pack the car. A Home Depotian tied the table (in a box) to the top of the car. We put the umbrella and chairs into the back. And Buddy pooped in the loading bay. All in a day's work.

Somehow, everything and everyone fit. We made it home without incident and constructed the patio furniture. We are now officially furnished and ready to have the first barbecue.

Who wants to come?

Summer has begun...

No comments: