Saturday, May 23, 2009

Sporting Rants and Raves: May 23, 2009

Happy 21st birthday to Ms. Morgan Pressel of Tampa, FL. Ms. Pressel is the youngest-ever winner of an LPGA tournament (Kraft Nabisco Championship) and has ranked as high as #4 in the Women's Rankings.

The New York Yankees have defeated their bitter rivals... the Philadelphia Phillies. Okay, so not bitter rivals. In fact, they rarely meet. But the Yankees still won. And they even helped their New Yorkian counterparts over in Queens.

On a tangent, do you know how many homeruns have been hit in the new Yankee Stadium at this point? 86. Ludicrous. Who were the geniuses who put this field there?

And another tangent. How many of you actually like interleague play? I ask not because I like or dislike the practice but because I'm truly fascinated by people's responses. Some still think it's the worst thing to happen to baseball since the DH. Others think it's exciting. And still others have no idea that the Royals are actually a National League team. Uh, I meant American...

Trivia of the week: In which year did interleague play officially begin (and this is not including the World Series for all of you trying to get me on a technicality)? What two teams played in the first interleague game? (Hint: The National League Team was originally from the United States' first capital city. The American League Team was originally from the United States' present capital city.)

Michael Vick's out of jail. I'm guessing Oakland or Cincinnati.

Okay, if I'm to take this situation seriously for a moment, then I must suggest forgiveness sans forgetfulness. Does he deserve another chance? Sure. I hope he's repentant. I hope he's contrite. And who am I to judge anyway? Was his action stupid. Double plus stupid, if you'd like. But there are wife / girlfriend beaters in the league (LJ), a man who didn't stab anyone (RL), and a dingbat who can't shoot straight (PB). In that company, Mike deserves a second shot.

Go Seattle! Beat the Giants and former M Randy Johnson. Denying him his 299th win.

Magic v. Cavs. Nuggets v. Lakers. I think most expect Cavs v. Lakers. And that would be quite the story. I personally hope for the Nuggets and whomever. I'm not a Kobe fan. (Though I like the hamburger meat.)

Ain't lookin great for the Whale. Detroit's faring better. I have hope that the Whale-a-Canes can still pull it off.

A sad day when lefty has to leave the tour indefinitely. His wife and family are in our prayers.

Finally, a bit of ranting from a dog owner. Pit bulls are not vicious dogs unless trained to be vicious. It isn't in their blood. Viciousness has been breed into certain dogs. Dalmatians, for instance, or Akitas. But not pit bulls. No, pit bulls must be trained to be vicious. And so, I ask, what in God's name does James Harrison - or any of his family members who should know better - have a vicious pit bull doing in the same general vicinity as a two-year old? And, why did that pit bull attack?

And with, that I must bid thee all adieu as I am on the verge of venturing to a barbecue on this beautiful Seattle day. Until next I write, happy sporting...

No comments: