Saturday, May 30, 2009

Sporting Rants and Raves: May 30, 2009

Happy 66th birthday to Mr. Gale Sayers, the Hall of Fame former running back of the Chicago Bears. Although he had a brief career lasting but four years (1965-1967, 1969), Sayers dominated the league with his lightning speed and remarkable moves during his tenure. In addition, Sayers supported his white teammate - Brian Piccolo - through the cancer that eventually took Piccolo's life at a time when race rioting permeated the US. Their friendship later paved the way for Brian's Song starring Billy Dee Williams and James Caan (as well as the unfortunate remake starring Mekhi Pfifer and Sean Maher).

Do you believe in Magic? Well, I hope you do. And I hope it's not just the Cavs against whom they match up well. With the little I know about this year's finals, I can say the following. First and foremost, I dislike the Lakers as a team. I have nothing in particular against any of the members personally. Not even Kobe. Although as a player, eh. Second, I fear for any team that must rely on 3-pointers. If said team goes cold, God help them. Third, in the two games the Magic and Lakers played this year, the Magic won 106-103 and 109-103 (although both of those wins came with Jameer Nelson). Who do I predict (know I do so well with playoff predictions)? I'm going to say the Lakers because of their experience and desire after last year.

Now, for the other finals. Today marked the first game pitting the Penguins against the Red Wings. And the latter took the lead in this rematch of last year's finals. I didn't see the game and can therefore not comment on the game. Who will take it? I choose the Red Wings.

Football comes in but 3 short months. Brady's back. Favre's a putz. Holt's a Jag. Clemens ain't the future. TO's a Bill. Osi's back. And more to come...

Trivia of the Week: Osi Umenyiora is 1 of 3 people originally born in this country to win a Super Bowl. Who are the other 2?

Where did they come from? Andy Pettite handed off a winning game to Mariano Rivera. And for the 58th time in that scenario, the Yanks came off with a win. Now 1.5 games ahead of the slumping Jays and those bitter rival Red Socks, the Yanks can boast a tie for the third best record in the MLB behind the Dodgers and the Rangers.

And where did they go? The Seattle 'Ken Griffey Jr. infused' Mariners have lagged 7 games behind the American West best Rangers. 'This is their year' I heard so many M's fans say. 'Okay,' I reply.

A quick note on the quickly waning softball season...

The Thrusters started well at 4-0 storming through the league. Then a weak showing and the loss of a game in international tiebreaker put us at 4-2. A 3-game series at Russell Road had us at 7-2 and in the thick of it. But a terrible outing 2 weeks ago has us back at 7-4. Tomorrow, we play 2 teams that beat us earlier in the season. We'll see what answers we have for them in the wee hours of the morning.

The Buzz started with 2 wins against weaker teams. And then lost with but 9 players in the third. At 2-1, the future was undecided. But the Buzz took the league into its own hands and won their next 5 before suffering defeat to a Wolves team that couldn't do anything wrong. With 2 wins 2 weeks ago, the Buzz sit at 9-2 and control their destiny in these last 4 weeks.

With that and with my allergies flaring, I bid thee adieu. I must wake early for tomorrow's games. Until next I write, happy sporting...

No comments: